9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 3:08 PM by GuzzRod

Gmail smtp server....with ADDT.. possible or not?

mrcharis2003@yahoo.c

Hi there

i desperation about not being able to set up my website server as an    smtp server to send emails from my website     using ADDT

I am now trying to set up gmail as my smpt server     is that possible?     I keep getting errors      I think that I need ssl authentication?

Has anyone had any luck using gmail as an smtp server? 

Is this possible with gmail?

Any help would be great

• 1. Re: Gmail smtp server....with ADDT.. possible or not?
          viktor.iwan Level 1

have you tried to set the smtp that comes from your ISP ?

• 2. Re: Gmail smtp server....with ADDT.. possible or not?
            mrcharis2003@yahoo.c Level 1

Hi there

Thanks for your respose

Yes I have tried to set up my smtp using the smtp mail function in my linux server running cpanel

I have not been able to get it to work

I have tried every possible combination of   settings in my   ADDT control panel email settings....     servername    username    and password      even tried using no username or password , (as described in some posts to enable PEAR mail, instead of php mail )   

I CANNOT get it to work      

I have successfully configured my isp to run with outlook exrpress , 100% working , no problem    I can send and recieve emails using the account I set up in my cpanel.......     but I cannot use ADDT to send emails........ I always get errors ,    usually 

Error sending e-mail.
            E-mail couldn't be sent. Error returned: Failed to connect to mail.nameofmysite.com:25 [SMTP: Failed to connect socket: Connection timed out (code: -1, response: )]. (EMAIL_FAILED)

really driving me crazy

So I chose to try to use gmail as my smtp server instead , But I can't get that to work either?

Any help would be greatt

Have a nice day
            • 3. Re: Gmail smtp server....with ADDT.. possible or not?
              benblue

this had this happen, and I believe the answer had something to do with using a gmail.com address twice (for example the TO; field, and maybe the from: Field, or, maybe the site's debugging address.)

or, it was that I didn't have the From: Field correctly. it was some anomaly I cant recall exactly, but maybe that will help. try changing some of those fields to a different Internet mail, or another yoursite@yoursite.com address.

cheers

ben

• 4. Re: Gmail smtp server....with ADDT.. possible or not?
                viktor.iwan Level 1

i usually 'play' directly to ADDT configuration file located at:

"inlcudes/tng/tNG_config.inc.php"

(for me) basically, if you able to send mail via mail() , than you just leave the email parameter with blank:

$tNG_email_host = "";
                  $tNG_email_user = "";
                  $tNG_email_port = "";
                  $tNG_email_password = "";

since it will use the mail setting you set in php.ini

OR

i also use smtp :

$tNG_email_host = "mail.xxxx.xxxxx";
                  $tNG_email_user = "";
                  $tNG_email_port = "25";
                  $tNG_email_password = "";

Beware with the $tNG_email_defaultFrom as well as bad email formating could make your email reject by smtp server.

• 5. Re: Gmail smtp server....with ADDT.. possible or not?
                  viktor.iwan Level 1

just for addition, if the above setting fail, you might try to use phpmailer:

http://phpmailer.worxware.com/index.php?pg=phpmailer

It easy to use an offer more flexibility and it's compatible with php 5.3.0..

basically send email is a trigger and you also can use phpmailer as AFTER trigger to behave the same as ADDT's send email trigger:

the form of custom send email trigger goes like this:

function Trigger_sendWelcomeEmail(&$tNG) {

$dxcemail=new PHPMailer();
                  $dxcemail->SetFrom($GLOBALS['g_marketingemail'],$GLOBALS['g_companyname']);
                  $dxcemail->AddAddress($_POST['dxc_memberEmail'], $_POST['FirstName'].' '.$_POST['LastName']);  
                  $dxcemail->MsgHTML("YOUR Primary Key is ".$tNG->getPrimaryKeyValue());
                  if(!$dxcemail->Send()) {
                        $errObj = new tNG_error($dxcemail->ErrorInfo, "can\'t send email", "There\'s error bro!");
                              return $errObj;
                      }
                  }

Thanks to powerfull trigger concept... to bad adobe stop ADDT development

• 6. Re: Gmail smtp server....with ADDT.. possible or not?

Hi there

Thanks sooo much for your help

I did what you said and ......... it nearly worked

I removed all the settings from the   conf.inc    file      as you suggested      and then    I tried to send      and I got no errors        but the email did not arrive .......

So I looked at your post again and it said  that if I removed all the settings it would use the settings I set up in the php.ini  file ........ this is where I got a bit lost.........

I have googled it..... and I have looked all throught my server..... I even created a page and ran a script to tell me the location of the php.ini file.... it worked      but I still cant find out where the php.ini    file is    and how to access it ....

COuld you please point me in the right direction .....?   tell me what I need to set up .... in the php.ini file?

I searched through these forums and found nothing to help about the php.ini file

After I tried that I tried your seccond sugestion of settings    and got the same errors as before ........

Funny you should mention      phpmailer ..... as it was the last stop on a three day web crawl to find an answer to my mailing problems ..... I will lookinto it asap ........

I have anready tried another program called   g-lock easymail ..... but or some reason I cant register (free version) it   

I really want to use the email user registration email verification feature of addt......     and I have had it working in the past ...... about two years ago .... so i am lost as to why it wont work now ........ really frustrating .......

Anyway       thanks again

If you have any other sugestions     please post them asap       I will try anything to get this working    hours tuning into days   now into weeks and still this is not working  

I will try to find some other script   to run to test my   sites     smtp    settings         a simple php mail form        not sure yet    will post when I get it all to work as well

If all else fails I will have to try the whole set up on a different computer with a fresh install and   on a different server   

but I hope it does not come to that    

Has to be a simple sollution

Cheers again

• 7. Re: Gmail smtp server....with ADDT.. possible or not?
                      viktor.iwan Level 1

the location of php.ini can be different depend on the method of your php installation. If manual installation, it could be on c:\php or c:\windows, if you use xampp it could be on c:\xampp\apache\conf, i use zend server ce, it's on Zend\ZendServer\etc.

The dirty way is to search through windows explorer "php.ini"

when you find your php.ini, try to find these parameter setting

[mail function]
                      ; For Win32 only.
                      SMTP=mail.xxxxxxxxxxxxx,xxxx
                      smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
                      ;sendmail_from = me@example.com

Good luck.. hope it solve the problem

• 8. Re: Gmail smtp server....with ADDT.. possible or not?

H i

Thanks again for your help ........ but I am a bit confused.....

i am not running using local host ........ the site I am working on is hosted remotely     uses a hosting account   linux   with cpanel   

So ........   I am using xamp as my localhost (not for this site) but ....... how does changing the php.ini file in xamp help when sending an email from a form that is uploaded and residing on my remote server?

I found the php.ini file in my   xamp folder    and I did make the changes you said    I tested it and still no email in my inbox ........ 

I will try again...... and again .......

So..... am I on the right path?      Does changing the php.ini file in my xamp    affect the email settings for a form that is remotly hosted?

I am lost     yet again  

One step forward   three steps back ....... maybe five steps.....

Thanks again     really apreciate it  

Any other sugestions are welcomed ....

Cheers

• 9. Re: Gmail smtp server....with ADDT.. possible or not?
                          GuzzRod

Hey, if it´s not too late to have a response a year later, I was having the same issue this days....and the solution is absolutely easy and ridiculous...not code modifying, no nothing.....after many hours I found you should use  ssl://smtp.gmail.com instead of only smtp.gmail.com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards