6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 9:27 PM by shooternz

fast motion to 16/18 fps

el_lesmana

hey, i'd like to ask how do you fast motion a sequence so that it'll have a 16/18 fps "silent film like" frame rate? anybody know a tutorial in this? Thx u.

• 1. Re: fast motion to 16/18 fps
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Right click>Speed/Duration...

Simple stuff like this is best solved by reading the entire Help file from start to finish BEFORE using Premiere on a real project.

• 2. Re: fast motion to 16/18 fps
            the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to experiment with the Effect>Posterize Time too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: fast motion to 16/18 fps
              shooternz Level 6

Agreed.  There is a litle more to "silent film" frame rates than a simple speed duration effect.

• 4. Re: fast motion to 16/18 fps
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I disagree.  The effect is created simply by showing the footage at a faster frame rate than it was shot.  (Not by skipping frames at regular intervals, which is what Posterize Time does.)  All that is needed for the speedy look is a clip speed adjustment.

Now if you want to talk about the sepia, scratches, and other abberations of old film, that's a different story.  But the whole keystone cops speed thing is very, very simple.

• 5. Re: fast motion to 16/18 fps
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, since most of us only get to see silent footage that has been reclaimed, from say nitrate-based negatives, we only have those projected images to go from. Now, I am probably old enough, to have seen Al Jolson's introduction of sound, but I was too young to remember seeing the original projection footage.

What we have for reference is the salvage footage, warts and all.

Hunt

• 6. Re: fast motion to 16/18 fps
                    shooternz Level 6

Actually Jim, I know your considerable education in Video production will have informed you that Silent movies were hand cranked.

Although the camera operators were very skilled at maintaining a reasonably constant crank rate... frequently they allowed their emotions and excitement to control the speed of the crank depending on the action. This became part of the silent movie look.  Of course this also affected the exposure so that becomes part of the look as well.

Scratches and MB type aging effects are not part of the silent film framerate. That is an "aging" of the negative or print by handling / mishandling/ wear and tear.

When I had shares in  a film laboratory and was active in its operation, one of my competitors was the film lab owned by Dir. Peter Jackson (who  at the time , made a spoof film  called "Forgotten Silver").  A discovery about some long lost footage and the story it told.  To replicate the footage in a silent film look involved considerable and skilled  "mechanical mishandling" during the process of shooting and post production to sell the idea it was real.  None of this included the easy way out of using a plug in.  It was incredibly difficult to do in a convincing manner.  He fooled so many people it was legend.