4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 4:46 PM by Jim_Simon

Going back to CS3

Webshark2000 Level 1

I finally had the last straw yesterday.  We had a client that needed a copy of a project we'd worked on earlier this year and they needed a couple small changes to it.

I loaded up the CS3 project (which is what it was originally done in) into CS4 only to find that all of the audio had become completely garbled.  It seemed that all of the audio was pitched up so that everyone sounded like The Chipmunks.  I found that if I replaced the audio on the timeline with the original clips in the project it would fix them (except that all of the stereo tracks turned into mono left tracks for some reason), but this took forever to do for every clip in the project.

After messing with it for several hours which included trying all of the common work-arounds (such as importing the CS3 project into a new CS4 one) and having additional problems with exporting through Media Encoder, I gave up on that, installed CS3, updated it and everything worked perfectly.

I'm sick of all the CS4 problems I've experienced and I don't normally come to the forum just to rant, but I really hope Adobe can fix some of the common CS4 issues I see repeated daily in this and other Premiere Pro forums.  Until then, I'll be using CS3.

• 1. Re: Going back to CS3
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Not sure this qualifies as a "common" problem.  I don't recall reading a mass of posts about it.

Out of curiosity, what kind of media are the clips?

• 2. Re: Going back to CS3
            Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

We have had issues opening CS3 Projects in Premiere CS4. You're better off keeping a copy of Premiere CS3 on a computer for situations where you need to do revisit these projects. I believe that Adobe changed/corrected the video aspect ratio in CS4 and the programming "math" gives CS4 a fit when you try to edit CS3 prproj's. If you have a single full quality file exported from the old CS3 project (for instance DV NTSC), if practical bring that single chunk of video into a new CS4 project and make the changes to that.

• 3. Re: Going back to CS3
              Jack Banatoni Level 1

I've seen something similar.  Occasionally, we'll capture a tape in CS4 and the clip plays back at hyper speed while the audio stays at normal speed.  It usually hangs on the last frame of the video.  The work around has been to save, close Premiere, and re-open.  After that, it's fine.

• 4. Re: Going back to CS3
                Jim_Simon Level 8

the programming "math" gives CS4 a fit when you try to edit CS3 prproj's

I did not have any such problems myself with converting either CS3 or 2.0 projects.