2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 3:21 AM by Jim Rodenkirch

Help with opening Adobe Reader and downloading updates

Jim Rodenkirch

I can not open Adobe .pdf files any longer (this started yesterday, prior to that I could open adobe files).

When I double click a .pdf file I get this notice on my screen: Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access file.

So I went to the Adobe download site to download a new copy of Adobe.  When I start the download I get this on the screen:  The instruction at "0x0e3a0068" referenced memory at "0x0e3a0068."  The memory could not be written.  Then two options are listed: click OK to terminate or cancel to debug.  So I click on cancel and I get this on my screen: Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer.   A malfunctioning or malicious addon has caused I.E. to close this webpage.

I don't have AVG running, I do have avast but I've disabled it.  I ran Registry Mechanic and an I.E. erasure program but nothing helps.

I have gone into I.E. and reduced the security level to its lowest state but no joy.

So, any ideas or suggestions on what's the problem and how to overcome it would be appreciated.  Thanks, in advance, for your reply.  Jim R.

• 1. Re: Help with opening Adobe Reader and downloading updates
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Under the help menu, there is an option to repair the installation of reader. Did you try that?

• 2. Re: Help with opening Adobe Reader and downloading updates
            Jim Rodenkirch Level 1

Hi Mike..tried that as well but no joy.  A friend of mine was looking at it all and noticed that it was an I.E. thing as far as not letting me redownload the reader so I went to Mozilla Firefox and I could download a new version but....whenever I attempt to open a .pdf file I get that message, "Windows can not open the specified device, path or file. You man not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." 

Damn...this is irritating as I need to get to some of thos files as I need them for a Journal I'm working on as editor-in-chief. 

It all worked just fine last Saturday but starting Monday when I was on my flight out to D.C.  no joy. 

Sigh...Jim R.

Jim R.

Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:50:27 -0700

To: rodenkirch_llc@msn.com

Subject: Help with opening Adobe Reader and downloading updates

Under the help menu, there is an option to repair the installation of reader. Did you try that?

>