5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 9:21 AM by Mark C. Dahm Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home

justv

Hi all, I just registered this site but haven't found out how to start a new topic (clicking on "new"-->"Discussions" but says I'm not authorized??). So I'm just replying to this old post with a proper subject:

I have always used the Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edition 3.0. I've never used Photoshop. Could someone tell me, does it make a lot of (positive) difference to switch to Photoshop? What good things am I missing by sticking with Deluxe 3.0? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home
          Mark C. Dahm Adobe Employee

As that software has been discontinued, operating system updates can easily prevent software from running, so the most tangible feature you'd be getting with an upgrade to Photoshop Elements or Photoshop is software that has been tested to work with the latest operating systems.

-Mark

• 2. Re: Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home
            justv Level 1

Mark, thank you very much for the reply! I understand O.S related issues. What about features or functions? Any important features for processing photos  that the photoshop has which the PhotoDeluxe home 3.0 doesn't?

Thanks in advance!

v

• 3. Re: Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home

The closest program that Adobe offers to Home Edition is Photoshop Elements. Not only is it closer to the price of Home Edition than Photoshop, it is also designed for non professional customers, though it's also not designed for the less experienced photo editing customer that Home Edition catered to.

When I think of Home Edition, I think of lots of templates, and step by step instructions to use editing tools and various functions. Elements takes a different approach, providing lots of artwork, and presets for creating documents from scratch, but not the entire templating system, as Home Edition offered, doesn't exist.

As for the step by step help, it's not built into the programs's design, as it was for Home Edition.

But the tools that you can get in Photoshop Elements are way, way more sophisticated, many are as easy to use as what you see in Home Edition, but can produce excellent results with little effort, and it offers a very deep set of tools to explore advanced editing and printing features, when you are ready to take your photos further.

Read more about Photoshop Elements here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/?promoid=BPDEM

-Mark

• 4. Re: Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home
                justv Level 1

Many thanks for your reply, Mark! Very helpful information that I can't get elsewhere! I got my home edition long time ago which came with a scanncer that I bought, so I sort of got it for "free", and have no idea how much it would cost,   The step-by-step feature of it is indeed very annoying.

Beside the approaches and features, does the new software have ways to do more kinds of editing, or more precise editing, of photos? In other words, to produce more kinds of results?

• 5. Re: Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home

Absolutely! Here's a short list, off the top of my head:

Editing

• Black and Whites
                  • Compositing
                  • Better selection tools
                  • Better erasing tools (healing brush)
                  • Lighting and color adjustments (curves)
                  • Photoshop Actions
                  • Smart Objects

Industrial strength organizer for organizing your entire photo collection, which also includes:

• intuitive tagging
                  • Full Screen Review Mode
                  • Slide show capability
                  • Face Recognition to help tagging

Sharing on the web

• Backup, including online backup to Photoshop.com (if in the U.S.)
                  • Flash based web galleries

Read more here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/features/?view=topnew

-Mark