6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 12:39 PM by BigJohnD

Default Printer

tjl4914

I would like to change my default printer in Pagemaker 7.0.1 but I'm having all sorts of problems.  First of all, my Help seems to have disappeared from my computer.  Not sure where it went but it's not there. When I click on Help or the ? or hit the F1 key, nothing happens.  I don't even get a message that the Help cannot be found.  Anyway, to change my default printer I know I need to get to the Printer Setup Utility but I can't seem to figure out how to get to that.  Anybody out there that can help me?

• 1. Re: Default Printer
          BigJohnD Level 3

1. Help has disappearred.

No it probably hasn't - PM only likes IE, so if you're using FF, Safari, Opera or Chrome, then nothing happens.

A common workaround is to put a short cut somewhere to the PM helpfiles - look in C:\Program Files\Adobe\PageMaker 7\RSRC\[language]\Help

2. Default printer.

To change the default "Compose to printer" in PM, load PM but do not open any file.

Look in File -> Document Setup and select it from the list.  OK your way out.  Quit and re-load PM to be sure it's set as a global default.

More here: The Compose To Printer Setting in PageMaker for Windows

• 2. Re: Default Printer
            tjl4914 Level 1

Thank you very much.  I will follow these instructions.  FYI, I am using

Firefox.

Terry Locke

The FLOLO Corporation

-See Our Updated Website - www.flolo.com -

BigJohnD <forums@adobe.com>                                                                               

To:       Terry Locke <tjlocke@flolo.com>                                              

12/01/2009 11:30 AM                cc:                                                                               

Please respond to                  Subject:  Default Printer                                            

clearspace-1576622906-56630                                                                                

1-2-2432143                                                                               

1. Help has disappearred. No it probably hasn't - PM only likes IE, so

if you're using FF or Safri or Chrome, then nothing happens.

A common workaround is to put a short cut somewhere to the PM helpfiles -

look in C:\Program Files\Adobe\PageMaker 7\RSRC\[language]\Help

2. Default printer. To change the default "Compose to printer" in PM,

load PM but do not open any file.

Look in File -> Document Setup and select it from the list.

More here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328695.html

• 3. Re: Default Printer
              tjl4914 Level 1

Big John,

Okay, the shortcut to PM Help works great.  However, the default printer is

still a problem.  I've had this problem forever and I can't seem to fix it.

I've changed the printer in Document Setup many times.  In fact, when I

load PM the printer I want as default is always shown in that window.

However, when I select Print, it has the wrong one.  I just tried it again.

Loaded PM, selected my choice, closed PM, reloaded PM, opened a New

Document, selected Print and I still get the wrong printer.  I even went so

far one time as to delete the printer it kept defaulting to, and it

selected another one instead of the one I want. It's not that big of an

issue because I know I have to change my printer before printing all the

time, but  it's making me nuts.

Terry Locke

The FLOLO Corporation

12/01/2009 11:30 AM                cc:                                                                               

1-2-2432143                                                                               

1. Help has disappearred. No it probably hasn't - PM only likes IE, so

if you're using FF or Safri or Chrome, then nothing happens.

A common workaround is to put a short cut somewhere to the PM helpfiles -

look in C:\Program Files\Adobe\PageMaker 7\RSRC\[language]\Help

2. Default printer. To change the default "Compose to printer" in PM,

load PM but do not open any file.

Look in File -> Document Setup and select it from the list.

More here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328695.html

• 4. Re: Default Printer
                BigJohnD Level 3

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by default printer.  I assumed default "compose to printer" which is the printer/device your final output will go to.

In PM's Print Dialogue, the printer which appears first is the Windows default printer. Go into the Control Panel and set which ever printer you want to be the PM's default printer there.

If your chosen printer is a PCL Printer, the "setup" button in PM's Print Dialogue will take you straight to the Printer's setup.

If your chosen printer is PS, selecting the correct PPD in PM's Print Dialogue will enable all the options to be selected from the dialogue, assuming they are available, like duplexing and stapling.

Or have I misunderstood?

• 5. Re: Default Printer
                  tjl4914 Level 1

Actually, the printer that is displayed first in my PM Print Dialogue box

is not my Windows default printer. It's my FAX printer which I use very

sparingly and it's never been set as my Windows default.

I appreciate your time but I don't think I'm going to solve this problem.

The only way to fix it would be to get my default printer to the top of the

list in the PM print dialogue box

Thanks for solving my Help problem.

Terry Locke

The FLOLO Corporation

12/01/2009 01:06 PM                cc:                                                                               

1-2-2432423                                                                               

I'm not 100% what you mean by default printer.

In PM's Print Dialogue, the printer which appears first is the *Windows

default printer*. Go into the Control Panel and set which ever printer you

want to be the PM's default printer there.

Or have misundersood?

• 6. Re: Default Printer
                    BigJohnD Level 3

In which case trash your PM configuration files.

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\PageMaker 7.0\RSRC\[language] and delete (or rename if you prefer) all the files PM7*.cnf.

PM will re-create them anew next time it's loaded.   Hopefully that will correct it.