1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 3:07 PM by pebalsamo

AVCHD Workflow

Jack Banatoni Level 1

We're looking to go tapeless and buy a Panasonic AG-HMC150 which records to AVCHD.  After playing with a friend's AVCHD Panasonic AG-HMC40 and CS4, I have some concerns about working with the footage.

The camera breaks the footage up into several clips (I assume because it's FAT32 to work on PC and Mac).  We edit a lot of “drag and drop, out the door” lectures and board meetings.  It would be ideal if we could import it all as one master clip.  I've seen that Final Cut re-combines all the files into one clip before editing.  Is there anything like this in Premiere or on the PC-side in general? Any real-world ACVHD workflow experience?

Thanks,

JB

• 1. Re: AVCHD Workflow
          pebalsamo Level 2

We shoot with the HMC-150 and edit with CS4.  The footage being split on the cards is just the way that it is going to be because of the FAT32 like you mentioned.  Unfortunately Premiere does not recgonize them as spanned clips and rejoin them.  If you buy the HMC-150 you can download a free app to create P2 DVCPRO HD files out of your AVCHD clips and that will join them together.  Otherwise you can go over to the HMC forum and download MTS Merger you will find lots of good info about the camera over there if you have not already been there...  When we first got the cameras I was using DOS commands to join the clips and after finding MTS Merger I have been using that ever since.

If all you are going is single camera long form that will work out great for ya...

If you have any questions about anything let me know and I will try to help you out, or at least get you pointed in the right direction...

Phil