24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 2:33 PM by PeterMartinez

Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!

PeterMartinez

I can neither install nor uninstall AIR from WinXP. Everything I do gives me the "Adobe Air Installer has encountered a problem and needs to close.." box.

I have tried "Add/Remove Programs".

I have tried msicuu.

I have tried the '-uninstall' commandline option.

Everything gives me the "Adobe Air Installer has encountered a problem.." box.

Can anyone give me some help to manually remove files and registry entries please?

Does anyone at Adobe read this forum?  This is my third posting - the previous two got me no replies at all.

Regards

Peter

• 1. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
          aGervais

Sounds like a corrupt install / registry. Have you tried using the "Windows Installer Clean Up Utility" (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301)?

• 2. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
            PeterMartinez Level 1

Thanks for replying - I had posted this question three times so far and your's is the only reply so I was beginning to despair.

Yes I tried the Microsoft Installation CleanUp Utility (I did say so). The first time I ran it, 'Adobe Air' was in the list of programs I could clean-up. I selected it, and it seemed to clean it up because it vanished from the msicuu list. But it's still there in the 'Add/Remove Programs' list and I can't Remove it from there - originally I got a "Adobe Air Installer has encountered a problem and needs to close" box, but later this changed to "Adobe AIR is using a version that is no longer supported". I have also tried the '-uninstall' commandline option of the installer, and tried uninstall/re-install FLASH. AIR is still active (and corrupt) because it gives me a string of error boxes whenever I try to view streamed video (although it eventually let's me watch it). If I run msicuu again, AIR isn't shown in the list of cleanupable programs.

What I would really like is for someone 'in the know' to give me a step-by-step process for removing all the relevant files and registry entries for Adobe Air.

regards

Peter

• 3. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
              aGervais Level 1

Are you running with a user that has admin privileges?

What version of the AIR runtime did you have previously? Beta version?

If you had a beta version previously installed, did you try uninstalling it before upgrading?

How did this all start?

• 4. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                aGervais Level 1

Have you tried enabling the logging for the installer? (see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403123.html)

When you try to re-install w/ logging enabled, what's the output?

• 5. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                  PeterMartinez Level 1

Thanks again for your further reply.

The version number displayed in Add/Replace Programs and in the Adobe AIR folder, is 1.1.0.5790 so I assume that's not a beta version.

My PC is a single-user laptop. The 'Accounts' applet in Control Panel names me as 'computer administrator', and I have certainly always been able to do administrative tasks on the machine, so I am fairly sure I am authorised to install/uninstall AIR. I have never seen a message saying otherwise (I note other postings complaining about this).

I first started getting the problem when streamed BBC TV programs (which I have watched for some time) suddenly started showing the offending error box repeatedly. I don't know if this was because of some change in the way the BBC website streamed their programs.

I have tried the logging option but nothing is ever written to the file (other than the trivial text used to create it).

regards

Peter

• 6. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                    aGervais Level 1

What does your C:\Documents and Settings\username\mm.cfg text file contain, if it exists?

• 7. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                      aGervais Level 1

Have you tried downloading and installing the most recent AIR runtime from http://get.adobe.com/air/? Have you tried running that version (1.5.2) w/ the -uninstall command line arg?

• 8. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                        PeterMartinez Level 1

When you refer to the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\username\" I assume

you mean with 'username' replaced by my username. There is no file mm.cfg in

that folder or indeed anywhere else on the hard drive.

I have tried installing the latest 1.5.2.8900, and I have just tried it

again. I get the same "Air Installer has encountered a problem and needs to

close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" and invites me to send a report

to Microsoft. That's with or without the '-uninstall' argument.  Nothing is written to the C:\Documents and Settings\username\

.airinstall.log file  (is this the right place for it?).

Thanks again

Peter

• 9. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                          aGervais Level 1

Yes, where "username" is your Windows account username.

Your .airinstall.log is in the right place, it seems that the actuall installer never fully starts up and that is why you're not seeing any entries in the log. For some reason, Windows can't run the AdobeAIRInstaller.exe... not sure why at this point.

Can you try scanning your computer for a virus and spyware? Do you have any issues installing any other software that uses the MSI installer?

• 10. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                            PeterMartinez Level 1

I have AVG9 doing regular virus and spyware scans, and I have run the Microsoft Live Safety scan, with no result.  I cannot say whether I have problems installing any other software with MSI. I mostly write my own software and do not download a lot of other stuff. I don't even know how I aquired Adobe AIR. It must have been something that I did without being fully aware of it. Perhaps you can suggest a fairly harmless software program that I could try installing and removing, to see if it is the MSI installer that is at fault.

regards

• 11. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                              aGervais Level 1

Hey Peter,

Could you please provide us with a small crash dump from your attempt to run the installer? (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649/)

Thanks!

• 12. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                PeterMartinez Level 1

I tried to follow the kb254649 instructions but no file is written to the

minidump folder. However, I note that DrWatson is installed on this machine

and maybe that is overriding the minidump.  I therefore attach the contents

of the drwtsn32.log file, which may perhaps contain the same information. It

certainly describes the event in question.

If not, it may help if I say that the errorbox that I see which invites me

to report the problem to MS, contains the information that the faulting

module is 'adobe air.dll' version 1.5.2.8900 and the fault address is 0000

0000 100B A13B. This doesn't quite match the fault address given in the

drwtsn32.log file but it's close.

I hope this helps. I am grateful for your input.

Later:  I don't see the attachment; I will try adding it now..

Regards

Peter

• 13. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                  aGervais Level 1

Thanks, we're looking at through your log file now.

• 14. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                    PeterMartinez Level 1

Thanks for looking at the problem of the fault in the installer. I am guessing that this might take some time, and would therefore be grateful for any help you can give me in the meantime to remove the remains of the existing corrupt AIR installation. Can you give me a step-by-step list of registry keys to remove or change, and files/folders to delete. This will let me stream TV programs without Adobe AIR, which I assume I will be able to do without problems. I would then be happy to try running the installer again, with or without a fix.

regards

Peter

• 15. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                      aGervais Level 1

Hey Peter,

I'm discussing your options with the engineering team now...

Thanks,

Alan

• 16. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                        aGervais Level 1

Engineering has suggested you perform the following steps to "manually" remove the AIR runtime from your machine:

1. delete C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe AIR
                                        2. run the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility again
                                        • 17. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                          PeterMartinez Level 1

I deleted the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Air folder (or at least, since I am a coward at heart, I renamed it), but running msicuu again doesn't help because AIR is not listed as a 'cleanable' application in the list of programs which appears when I run it.

However, this is an improvement since it only takes a few seconds to clear the error boxes I now get if I try to stream a TV program. The error message now is "Something went wrong in installing this application. Please install the latest version of Adobe Air from http://www.adobe/go/getair and try again. This message apparently comes from the Adobe Application Installer, so this must be somewhere else on the system and not in the ..\common\AdobeAir folder. I assume the streaming website should not be trying to install an AIR application if I am not supposed to have AIR installed. After I have cleared the error boxes the TV program runs perfectly.

If I now try again to uninstall AIR via the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel, I get a different error message which says "An error occured while trying to remobe Adobe Air. It may already have been uninstalled. Do you want to remove Adobe AIR from the Add/Remove Programs list"  I haven't done that yet because I don't think it will be a real solution. I would prefer not to try to re-install AIR at this point - I would much prefer to be completely free of it and then, and only then, will I consider trying to re-install it, assuming I have a well-tried method of cleaning up if it crashes again.

I await your further instructions before proceeding. I suspect there are still things in the Registry which need to be cleared out, and I would prefer Adobe to tell me what needs to be done than for me to attempt it by trail and error.

regards

Peter

• 18. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                            aGervais Level 1

Hey Peter,

Engineering has responded with the following:

Try deleting

c:\documents and settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin, and anything in that folder.

It sounds like he's triggering an install of the BBC player from the web. There's a known bug in which that installation mechanism can get into a bad state. Clearing the above folder will correct it. (Before he does this, would be nice to know whether or not there was anything in that location, so we can know if it was this case.)

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Alan

• 19. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                              PeterMartinez Level 1

Alan:

Thanks for the response from your engineering colleagues.

There is (or was) indeed a folder called airappinstaller containing a copy of airappinstaller.exe in the

..FlashPlayer\www,macromedia.com\bin\ folder.

After noting that the bug still occured after I had deleted the Adobe Air

folder (see my previous posting), I realised that there must be some other

route by which the airinstaller was being called by the BBC web page, and

searched for it and found it in the folder which you have just asked me to

check. I tried renaming it, whereupon the bug has vanished and I can now

stream BBC TV programs cleanly. I had no idea whether this would be a

well-behaved solution, so I put it back and proposed to wait for your

response.

Incidently, the BBC had already suggested I uninstall/reinstall FlashPlayer,

and I had done this but it hadn't cleared the problem.

I would still be grateful for a documented manual AIR clean-up procedure -

one which could be trusted to work regardless. A list of files/folders to be

deleted and a list of registry keys perhaps. There seem to be numerous

suggested methods for removing AIR and, at least in my case, none of them

worked.

By the way, I still have no idea what AIR does, or should have been doing.

Bearing in mind that all I want is to stream TV programs, and I can do that

without AIR, how on earth did I get into this mess?

regards

Peter M

• 20. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                                aGervais Level 1

Hi Peter,

I'm glad to hear your issue has been resolved!

Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with a list of what registry keys can be manually deleted in order to remove the AIR runtime. Editing the Windows registry manually is a very risky exercise and its not something we can recommend to our customers.

The best way to remove AIR is:

1. Run the Windows Add Remove Programs to uninstall Adobe AIR

OR

2. From a command window, cd to the folder containing the most recent copy of the installer and run AdobeAIRInstaller.exe -uninstall

If the above 2 methods fail for whatever reason, you would have to perform the following (which you have):

- delete C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe AIR

- Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility

- possibly delete the C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\airappinstaller folder and everything contained within it.

As to why the BBC player app was prompting you to install AIR, I'm not sure... perhaps there is an AIR version for their player? It would be best to pose this question to the developers of the BBC player app to clarify.

Thanks,

Alan

• 21. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                                  PeterMartinez Level 1

Alan:

OK, I have wasted enough time on this one already, and I won't be wasting

any more trying to discover the details of why the BBC website is trying to

install an AIR application.  Maybe your engineering colleagues should talk

to the BBC about this. When I went to them first after encountering this

problem, they couldn't understand why Flash Player was trying to load AIR on

a streamed TV program.

I note you wouldn't recommend registry editting to your customers. I am not

a customer. Your AIR software has got itself installed onto my computer

without my knowledge. It would appear to have bugs in it which have caused

it to malfunction in my machine. That gives me cause for concern. I have

tried to be very carefull not to let undesirable software get onto my

computer and I seem to have failed in this case.

Given that your software is very widely and freely distributed, that should

give you cause for concern too.

Thanks for your time.

Peter M

• 22. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                                    PeterMartinez Level 1

Alan:

As a postscript, having done everything you have suggested in this thread, I

can now stream TV programs without error messages, but any attempt to run

the Air Installer (with or without the -uninstall option) still results in

the "Adobe Air Installer has encountered a problem and needs to close" box.

This is a C0000090 error in adobe_air.dll

Therefore, if I ever need to use Adobe AIR for real, I will have to come

back here for further help.

regards

Peter Martinez

• 23. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                                      samuraithelamb

Is this what I should do for my problem I posted about pertaining to EBay Desktop?  Please get back to me asap.

• 24. Re: Corrupt Air installation in XP: help please!
                                                        PeterMartinez Level 1

I am sorry I don't know. I cannot tell from your Ebay Desktop posting whether your problem is similar to mine. Maybe Alan who answered my questions can give you a useful answer.

regards

PeterM