7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 1:23 PM by landorasue

Premiere Elements 3.0--Deactivate

landorasue Level 1

How do I deactivate Photoshop Elements 5.0 and Premier Elements 3.0? Currently, my computer is not hooked up to the internet--I realize it needs to be before deactivating (not a problem). But when I look at PS Elements or Premier Elements>Help, there is no Deactivate option. There is for my CS2 products, which I also want to deactivate.

Question: Just need to know how to deactivate PS Elements and Premier Elements on old computer, so I can install on a new computer.

Thanks,

Lana

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0--Deactivate
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Lana,

Unlike the CS-series of Adobe products, PrE does not require either Activation. I do not know about PSE, but would assume the same thing.

Now, in PrE versions, prior to PrE 4, when certain elements, say MPEG encoding was used for the first time, there was an activation process, but it is much different than the CS products.

To remove, I strongly believe that all you need to do is Add/Remove the programs.

Maybe someone else can confirm the PSE removal, and verify that I am correct on not needing to Deactivate before removal, as one must do with the CS products.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0--Deactivate
            landorasue Level 1

When I tried to install PrE 3.0 on my new computer, it installed. But, then, when I tried to open a video to work on, it came up with "Contact Technical Support" on the PrE screen. Does it make any difference that I purchased the PrE program through the Education Store at Adobe. Their CS2 academic version states it can only be loaded on one computer. I've emailed Adobe support in this issue, but have not heard back from them. When I called their installation support, they said it would cost $69/hour to talk with tech support on this issue.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0--Deactivate
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not aware of a special "educational version" of the Elements programs, but might have missed it.

Yes, the CS series only allow the installation on one computer for the educational versions.

Sorry that I cannot be more helpful, but good luck. Maybe a call to Adobe C/S would be in order.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0--Deactivate
                Ed.Macke Level 3

AFAIK, there is no educational version of the Elements products. There is educational pricing, but I'm fairly certain it's the exact same product.

As far as the licensing restrictions, I have never found a separate EULA for educational products. I believe there is just a single EULA for a product - if there are restrictions dealing with Volume or Educational licenses, it will be in that EULA.

Adobe has all their EULAs posted.

As far as only 1 copy... it looks like you can install 2 copies, depending.... The EULA has this verbiage:

2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. ...the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed...may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

This verbiage appears in the PRE, CS, and Lightroom EULAs.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0--Deactivate
                  landorasue Level 1

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll have to try again. Maybe it just won't run on

Win7. Or maybe I need to uninstall on my old computer, then try installing on my

new computer.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0--Deactivate
                    James Loudon Level 1

Hi

Version 3 does run on Windows 7 because I tried it after I ran into issues with version 8. It runs but seized up when I went into preferences - and it takes a while to open files.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 3.0--Deactivate
                      landorasue Level 1

Thanks, James and all of you. I'm not even going to mess with it, then. I sure get tired of having to buy all new software everytime I

buy a new computer.