2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 3:14 PM by Jeff Schewe

Where do I update CS3 to open images from cd

oldstuff7

My friend gave me some images to edit from my daughters wedding on a cd. I have CS3 and the bridge and it will not allow me to open and edit the images. She has a new Canon 5D camera and I don't know if that is reason, but she said I need an update, and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I would appreciate any help you can give. These images are camera raw, and raw files from my Rebel xti open fine. They have the extention CR2 and xmp.

Kathy

• 1. Re: Where do I update CS3 to open images from cd
          markerline Level 4

Have you tried opening the images directly in Photoshop using the Open . . . dialog box?  There you can specify camera raw as an option and there are so many extensions they don't even fit into the drop down menu.  CRW and CR2 are two of the many extensions.  Not sure how Bridge handles edits.  You may have to tell Bridge to use Photoshop as the editor by specifying a preference.  I am on CS4 and I use JPG for my Canon Digital Rebel XT to save disk space.  I import them using the Canon Utilities that came with the camera, though now I am using a newer version of the Canon utilities that I ordered on CD since I couldn't find my original camera box with all the cables and CD's it came with.

Hope this helps,

markerline

• 2. Re: Where do I update CS3 to open images from cd
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

oldstuff7 wrote:

She has a new Canon 5D camera and I don't know if that is reason, but she said I need an update, and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

If the camera is a Canon 5D MII then Photoshop CS3 with Camera Raw 4.6 won't open thos images...you choice is to either upgrade to Photoshop CS4 or use the free DNG Converter to convert the 5D MII files from CR2 to DNG. You'll want the most recent version found here on the DNG Product Page.

You'll use the DNG Converter to convert the raw files to DNG....to do so you'll need to copy the images from the CD to your hard drive...follow the DNG Converter instructions and then Camera Raw 4.6 in Photoshop CS3 will be able to open them...