11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2008 2:53 PM by Newsgroup_User

Issue with viewing site in IE6

Third_Dimension
      Hey guys.

I've been working on my uncles website for sometime now, and one thing i've learned that i seriously hate is browser to browser compatibility.

I've worked through most problems but one still remains. I've searched around but haven't been able to find anything on it.

The site works quite well in IE7 and Mozilla Firefox, however when viewing the homepage in IE6, the left side of the page is positioned below the ending of the right side of the page, when really they should be next to one another

http://noelscaricaturesandcollectables.com

I would be grateful for any help, but please try and make it simple as i'm still only a newbie.

Thanks.

Jesse
        • 1. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
          shelleyfish Level 1
          Hey, yes with you on the browser stuff...how nice would it be if they all behaved the same....anway.

Check out the cssadviser at:
          http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/communityengine/index.cfm?event=homepage&productId=1
          it's brilliant. People let you know of troubles they've had with browser and how they've fixed them...I use this alot!

Good luck
          Shelley
          • 2. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
            Third_Dimension Level 1
            I found someone i think with the same problem to myself, but i'm not quite sure if it's the right instruction given or if it's appropriate for what i'm trying to do.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/communityengine/index.cfm?event=showdetails&postId=9683&produ ctId=1&loc=en_US

The guy instructs to put some code, but i think the code is adverse to the code i have, and i'm unsure of how to implement it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            • 3. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
              RolyRoger
              Wow thanks for the great links
              • 4. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
                Level 7
                IE box
                by CGrint73 on July 11, 2008

Internet Explore prior to v7 has a problem counting, in that it does not add
                up your div's to the 100% tey should be of the available space other
                browsers correctly do.
                To get around this you can use the underscore hack to place a different
                width in your style for one or more of your divs which make your design,
                making at least one of them smaller for IE 6 should fix this problem for
                you.

You simply repeat your width, and on the second one prefix it with a _

For example, if you had a div called 'maincontent' which was 600px wide, you
                would do the following

#maincontent {
                width: 600px;
                _width: 550px;
                }

This would result in IE (v6 and before) using the 550px (you must place the
                _ version last), you will need to play around to find out the exact width to
                use in IE.

You can also target all versions of IE using # instead of _, IE 7 dropped
                the _ hack, but any version before it, still recognises it.

IE box

browsers correctly do.
                you.

would do the following

#maincontent {
                }

use in IE.

"Third Dimension" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:g56ife$nb8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hey guys.
                >
                > I've been working on my uncles website for sometime now, and one thing
                > i've
                > learned that i seriously hate is browser to browser compatibility.
                >
                > I've worked through most problems but one still remains. I've searched
                > around
                > but haven't been able to find anything on it.
                >
                > The site works quite well in IE7 and Mozilla Firefox, however when viewing
                > the
                > homepage in IE6, the left side of the page is positioned below the ending
                > of
                > the right side of the page, when really they should be next to one another
                >
                > http://noelscaricaturesandcollectables.com
                >
                > I would be grateful for any help, but please try and make it simple as i'm
                > still only a newbie.
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Jesse
                >

• 5. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
                  Third_Dimension Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                  IE box

browsers correctly do.
                  you.

would do the following

#maincontent {
                  }

use in IE.

IE box

browsers correctly do.
                  you.

would do the following

#maincontent {
                  }

use in IE.

news:g56ife$nb8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hey guys.
                  >
                  > I've been working on my uncles website for sometime now, and one thing
                  > i've
                  > learned that i seriously hate is browser to browser compatibility.
                  >
                  > I've worked through most problems but one still remains. I've searched
                  > around
                  > but haven't been able to find anything on it.
                  >
                  > The site works quite well in IE7 and Mozilla Firefox, however when viewing
                  > the
                  > homepage in IE6, the left side of the page is positioned below the ending
                  > of
                  > the right side of the page, when really they should be next to one another
                  >
                  > http://noelscaricaturesandcollectables.com
                  >
                  > I would be grateful for any help, but please try and make it simple as i'm
                  > still only a newbie.
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > Jesse
                  >

I read that, but like i said i'm not sure how to implement it - the code that is.

I'm still fairly new to this stuff.

I've added some code as to where i think i may have to be looking at. If that is where i need to be inserting it then how would i do so?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
                    Level 7
                    Hey Jesse -

Add the new code to the CSS file named style.css (it's in the "pages"
                    folder)
                    Look for div container rules which specify widths

news:g593mn$ig6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    > IE box
                    > by CGrint73 on July 11, 2008
                    >
                    > Internet Explore prior to v7 has a problem counting, in that it does not
                    > add
                    > up your div's to the 100% tey should be of the available space other
                    > browsers correctly do.
                    > To get around this you can use the underscore hack to place a different
                    > width in your style for one or more of your divs which make your design,
                    > making at least one of them smaller for IE 6 should fix this problem for
                    > you.
                    >
                    > You simply repeat your width, and on the second one prefix it with a _
                    >
                    > For example, if you had a div called 'maincontent' which was 600px wide,
                    > you
                    > would do the following
                    >
                    > #maincontent {
                    > width: 600px;
                    > _width: 550px;
                    > }
                    >
                    > This would result in IE (v6 and before) using the 550px (you must place
                    > the
                    > _ version last), you will need to play around to find out the exact width
                    > to
                    > use in IE.
                    >
                    > You can also target all versions of IE using # instead of _, IE 7 dropped
                    > the _ hack, but any version before it, still recognises it.
                    >
                    > IE box
                    > by CGrint73 on July 11, 2008
                    >
                    > Internet Explore prior to v7 has a problem counting, in that it does not
                    > add
                    > up your div's to the 100% tey should be of the available space other
                    > browsers correctly do.
                    > To get around this you can use the underscore hack to place a different
                    > width in your style for one or more of your divs which make your design,
                    > making at least one of them smaller for IE 6 should fix this problem for
                    > you.
                    >
                    > You simply repeat your width, and on the second one prefix it with a _
                    >
                    > For example, if you had a div called 'maincontent' which was 600px wide,
                    > you
                    > would do the following
                    >
                    > #maincontent {
                    > width: 600px;
                    > _width: 550px;
                    > }
                    >
                    > This would result in IE (v6 and before) using the 550px (you must place
                    > the
                    > _ version last), you will need to play around to find out the exact width
                    > to
                    > use in IE.
                    >
                    > You can also target all versions of IE using # instead of _, IE 7 dropped
                    > the _ hack, but any version before it, still recognises it.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > "Third Dimension" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    > news:g56ife$nb8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > > Hey guys.
                    > >
                    > > I've been working on my uncles website for sometime now, and one thing
                    > > i've
                    > > learned that i seriously hate is browser to browser compatibility.
                    > >
                    > > I've worked through most problems but one still remains. I've searched
                    > > around
                    > > but haven't been able to find anything on it.
                    > >
                    > > The site works quite well in IE7 and Mozilla Firefox, however when
                    > > viewing
                    > > the
                    > > homepage in IE6, the left side of the page is positioned below the
                    > > ending
                    > > of
                    > > the right side of the page, when really they should be next to one
                    > > another
                    > >
                    > > http://noelscaricaturesandcollectables.com
                    > >
                    > > I would be grateful for any help, but please try and make it simple as
                    > > i'm
                    > > still only a newbie.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    > >
                    > > Jesse
                    > >
                    >
                    >
                    >

>
                    > I read that, but like i said i'm not sure how to implement it - the code
                    > that
                    > is.
                    >
                    > I'm still fairly new to this stuff.
                    >
                    > I've added some code as to where i think i may have to be looking at. If
                    > that
                    > is where i need to be inserting it then how would i do so?
                    >
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > <div id="right">
                    > <h1 align="left" class="style16">Artist's Choice</h1>
                    > <table width="399" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="2">
                    > <tr>
                    > <td width="15" height="40" align="center"
                    > valign="middle"> </td>
                    > <td width="168" rowspan="2" align="center"
                    > valign="middle"><form name="form1">
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > <div id="left">
                    >
                    >
                    > <h1 align="left" class="style16">Latest Additions </h1>
                    > <table width="424" border="0">
                    > <tr>
                    > <td width="33"> </td>
                    > <td width="381"><div align="left"><strong>
                    >

• 7. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
                      Third_Dimension Level 1
                      Hey thanks for your reply.

I fiddled with it a bit, but to not much avail. I've attached the code i was looking at. I was fiddling with div container 3?
                      • 8. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
                        Level 7
                        Your welcome -

Try this:

div#frontpage div#left {
                        width: 49%;
                        }

div#frontpage div#right {
                        float: right;
                        width: 49%;
                        }

news:g5c1eu$ms1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Hey thanks for your reply.
                        >
                        > I fiddled with it a bit, but to not much avail. I've attached the code i
                        > was
                        > looking at. I was fiddling with div container 3?
                        >
                        > div#container {
                        > height: 100%;
                        > background-image: url(imgs/bg2.jpg);
                        > background-position: center;
                        > }
                        >
                        > div#container2 {
                        > background-image: url(imgs/bg2.jpg);
                        > background-position: center;
                        > }
                        >
                        > div#container3 {
                        > width: 864px;
                        > margin: auto;
                        > }
                        >

• 9. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
                          Third_Dimension Level 1
                          Thankyou thankyou thankyou very much!

Very pleased to know it's working now. That was the last real technical issue i had and i'm glad it's out of the way.

Very much appreciated. :)
                          • 10. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
                            Level 7
                            On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:00:55 +0000 (UTC), "Third Dimension"
                            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Thankyou thankyou thankyou very much!
                            >
                            >Very pleased to know it's working now. That was the last real technical issue i had and i'm glad it's out of the way.
                            >
                            >Very much appreciated. :)

Just fix these and it will be better still

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fnoelscaricaturesandcollectables.com%2F&char set=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&ss=1&group=0&verbose=1

--

~Malcolm~*...
                            ~*
                            • 11. Re: Issue with viewing site in IE6
                              Level 7
                              You're welcome pal..
                              Now fix your spelling on "Feature peice" (so/b piece)

news:g5eq2n$mvs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Thankyou thankyou thankyou very much!
                              >
                              > Very pleased to know it's working now. That was the last real technical
                              > issue i had and i'm glad it's out of the way.
                              >
                              > Very much appreciated. :)