12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 1:15 PM by JKepler@rochester.rr.com

Brighten video footage? CS4

JKepler@rochester.rr.com

Hello:

I have already edited a lot of footage. Is there a way to make my whites (whiter/brighter in Premiere CS4)?

Can I just edit the original footage in my BIN and make the whites brighter and then have it update to all the links in my timeline?

Can premiere whiten video like photoshop can brighten graphics? in an easy step?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• 1. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First thing that I'd look at would be Levels. Adjust as needed.

Second thing would be Highlight & Shadow. Take it OFF of Automatic (checkbox), and adjust as needed.

Fast Color Correcter and use the eyedropper to clean up the whites, and maybe for any color tinge.

I'd do these in this order, and maybe to back to Levels, when done with Fast Color Corrector.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Can I just edit the original footage in my BIN and make the whites brighter and then have it update to all the links in my timeline?

No. Your Imported Clip is just sitting there, to be used. You need an instance of it on the Timeline. Now, if you will wish to use it for many instances later in the Project, you can Copy/Paste that instance, or can Export it to a file, and have it added to the Project Panel.

Can premiere whiten video like photoshop can brighten graphics? in an easy step?

There are some Auto adjustments, but I would steer clear of these. Levels will probably get you close - do not use Auto Levels.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you know your Curves from PS, and are comfortable with them, you can use RGB Curves. If you do not know Curves, there is, well "a learning curve." [No real pun intended.]

• 3. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4
              JKepler@rochester.rr.com Level 1

Hello Hunt:

Thank you! Do I fix the main video in my BIN or click on each of the individual sections I sliced up in my timeline and correct those that way?

If I fix the video in my bin will the edits in my timeline automatically update?

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Adjustments can only be made in the timeline, not in the project bin.

It is like having eggs in the fridge (project bin). You like salt on your eggs. It is no use salting them in the fridge. You can only put salt on them when they have been preprared (timeline).

• 5. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Thank you! Do I fix the main video in my BIN or click on each of the individual sections I sliced up in my timeline and correct those that way?

Well, there are two ways that one could work. If the correction is the same, or very similar for all of the segments, I'd do the first one. When satisfied, Rt-click on it and choose Copy. Now, lasso all of the other Clip segments and Rt-click, choosing Paste Attributes. You might want to go back and tweak some of these, unless they exhibit the same degree of darkened highlights.

One could also Nest the Sequence and then apply the correction to everything there. Read up on Nesting before you do this, however. It's really pretty straightforward, but you will want to get it right. I cannot remember if there are Effects that will not work with a Nested Sequence. If there are, I doubt that they would be in the Adjust and Color Correction groups.

AfterEffects has some good color and gamma correction Effects too. Many use it for color grading.

Now, doing color and gamma work is best done on a calibrated CRT monitor, and not on the computer's monitor, but for light work, you should be fine. I'd set my Program Monitor to 100% and take it up fairly large - easy if you have a dual monitor setup - not so easy on a small single monitor.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4
                    shooternz Level 6

If you fix the source clip ( the one you have in the bin) you will need to exporty it as a new clip and then relink everything.

Common practice is to correct the clips you use in the timeline.

• 7. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

"Salt on eggs in the fridge." Another good analogy, Harm. Maybe you should be jotting these down for an upcoming book?

Analogies That We Can All Live By, by Harm Millaard.

Good one,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4

This is helpful. Thank you!

-

shooternz <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

If you fix the source clip ( the one you have in the bin) you will need to exporty it as a new clip and then relink everything.

Common practice is to correct the clips you use in the timeline.

>

• 9. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4

Thank you Hunt! Very helpful!

-

the_wine_snob <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Well, there are two ways that one could work. If the correction is the same, or very similar for all of the segments, I'd do the first one. When satisfied, Rt-click on it and choose Copy. Now, lasso all of the other Clip segments and Rt-click, choosing Paste Attributes. You might want to go back and tweak some of these, unless they exhibit the same degree of darkened highlights.

One could also Nest the Sequence and then apply the correction to everything there. Read up on Nesting before you do this, however. It's really pretty straightforward, but you will want to get it right. I cannot remember if there are Effects that will not work with a Nested Sequence. If there are, I doubt that they would be in the Adjust and Color Correction groups.

AfterEffects has some good color and gamma correction Effects too. Many use it for color grading.

Now, doing color and gamma work is best done on a calibrated CRT monitor, and not on the computer's monitor, but for light work, you should be fine. I'd set my Program Monitor to 100% and take it up fairly large - easy if you have a dual monitor setup - not so easy on a small single monitor.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 10. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4

Thanks for the big smile! Too funny man!

Thank you.

-

Harm Millaard <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Adjustments can only be made in the timeline, not in the project bin.

It is like having eggs in the fridge (project bin). You like salt on your eggs. It is no use salting them in the fridge. You can only put salt on them when they have been preprared (timeline).

>

• 11. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and do experiment. As mentioned, things like the order of the Effects can impact the final process. Do not hesitate to look at doing things like that.

Please report your success!

Hunt

PS - glad that we agree about the "salt on eggs." That's about the third good one that he's had this week, and it's not even Friday yet! He does great one-line zingers and my analogies ramble on for six pages...

• 12. Re: Brighten video footage? CS4

Hello Hunt:

I have to remember to check the correct answer... for other people on the site who may have a similar problem and need help in the future! Your answers (detailed answers) are very helpful! I am glad that rookies have somewhere to go to ask questions when they have a tough time figuring things out!

Today my goal is to figure out three things so you may see some posts if I have trouble.

1.) Why sections of my video are 'boxed in' when I play them on a TV. The last time I output to a DVD and played it on my flat screen TV only the 'sides' where black NOT the top bottom and sides. However this time I played it on an older television... I know parts of the old footage I used was filmed on a smaller scale I just need to find out if I can fit it to frame without losing too much resolution/proportion.

2.) In areas where I freezed the frame in the timeline with the video there is a shake when I view it on TV? I have to figure out why.

3.) On old footage I need to figure out how to get the buzzing (or distacting )sound out of the background.  I have no idea how to do this...

I'm determined to figure these out.

Thanks Hunt for all your help. I really appreciate it! Hey I'm curious what's in it for you pro's are you paid from Adobe or is this like a CV booster of some kind...just curious. Maybe I can do it for other programs in the suite (I'm an expert with InDesign, etc.)

Jill