10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 4:28 PM by Jim_Simon

Gaps in Green Line?

JKepler@rochester.rr.com Level 1

CS4

Even after I render my video edits in my time line there are still gaps in the green line above.

Is there something wrong with these areas? Because when I run the playhead everything plays and sounds great!

I'm just curios if there will be a problem with these areas when I need to export to encore and don't want a huge surprise.

Any pros out there who can educate me and why theie are gaps in my green line?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Gaps in Green Line?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Couple of things...

First, in most cases you don't need to render.  It will at worst degrade the quality of the footage, and at best be a waste of time.  Only render if playback isn't smooth and you need it to be in order to judge the timing of something.

Second, if there are gaps in the green line, that means whatever is underneath the gap doesn't need to be rendered.  (But again, even segments under a red line usually really don't NEED to be rendered.)

• 2. Re: Gaps in Green Line?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Are these empty "gaps," or are they red. If empty, they probably do not require any Rendering. What are the properties of the Clip below these gaps?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Gaps in Green Line?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Green areas are rendered areas, that showed red before rendering. Areas that do not show red (before rendering) or green (after rendering) do not need rendering. Ideally you would have those non-indicated areas in the majority of your timeline, because that also means you will not have a generation loss (quality loss).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Gaps in Green Line?

Ohh boy. I hope I have not been degrading the quality of my film by rendering. I always render after like 20 minutes or so of working. I have rendered a lot.

Here is a screen grab. The empty areas are .mpegs

Let me get this right the only time you render is if the video is not playing smooth and BEFORE you send to encore? Is that right?

• 5. Re: Gaps in Green Line?

Ok that's helpful, but does thi smean that I have accidently damaged my video because I see a lot

of green? Did I harm my video by rendering too much?

• 6. Re: Gaps in Green Line?

Hunt:

Here is a visual.

• 7. Re: Gaps in Green Line?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I'll normally only Render segments where I am Keyframing, or adding Effects to. I use the WAB (Work Area Bar) to limit my Rendering. This also keeps the number, and size of the Render files down.

I doubt that you've harmed your footage, however your HDD is probably filled with unnecessary Render files.

I often do complete Projects and never Render a frame.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Gaps in Green Line?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Rendering is usually meant to have a more fluid playback of your timeline on the program monitor. It has nothing to do with the final quality on export, unless you tell AME to use the preview files. Then it comes into play. If you use the setting "Maximum Render Quality" no harm is done to your output and the program monitor is only good for having a feel of your edit, not for CC work or the like.

Often people do not render the timeline at all unless the playback is causing choppy or halting frames. If you were to use the export setting "Use Preview Files" then you would notice the generation loss, but if you don't do that, no harm done to your footage.

• 9. Re: Gaps in Green Line?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

the only time you render is if the video is not playing smooth and BEFORE you send to encore?

Slight correction.

the only time you render is if the video is not playing smooth and BEFORE you send to encore you NEED it to play smooth.  Exporting it in any fashion has nothing to do with whether or not you will render.  Only render if the effects are such that you can't get smooth playback and you NEED smooth playback.  (I say NEED because often playback may stutter a bit, but this does not actually interfere with the editing process.)

• 10. Re: Gaps in Green Line?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

If you were to use the export setting "Use Preview Files" then you would notice the generation loss, but if you don't do that, no harm done to your footage.

Correct, but in this best case scenario the render is simply a waste of time.