6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 2:37 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

They get 'Missing Links' error messages ... Why?

Sarah@CEL Level 1

I created a piece of Artwork (probably best done in Indesign, but Illy is my preferred), and sent it to the publisher.

I placed images in the document.  I 'Saved As' and choose PDF, and made sure I had the Embedded images option ticked.

They are using CS4 and I'm using CS so its not that I'm going backwards (then I'd use export).

So, my question is, why are they getting this error message (I realise it is because they are missing the links, and don't have the images)?  Other than sending them all the images/logos is there another solution?

My specs: Windows XP Pro, Illy CS.

Thanks

• 1. Re: They get 'Missing Links' error messages ... Why?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Save as an Illustrator file .ai. in the Illustrator Save Option dialog there is a item to included linked files.

Send them that. But that essentially embeds the lined files.

So I would do it to a copy of the file which yu can then discard.

• 2. Re: They get 'Missing Links' error messages ... Why?
            Sarah@CEL Level 1

Hi Wade,

Thanks for your reply.

I've done that save option that you suggested and created a new file so I didn't overwrite the old now.  Now, she is complaining that it isn't an .ai file as the logo outlines are not visable.

When I reopen the new document I have no problems with it.

Any other suggestions?  I'm slowly running out of print time.

Thanks

Sarah

• 3. Re: They get 'Missing Links' error messages ... Why?
              tman69 Level 3

"Now, she is complaining that it isn't an .ai file as the logo outlines are not visable."

are the logo(s) raster art? or vector art?

you might want to ask 'her' what she is trying to do to your file that requires the 'logo outlines' to be visable.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: They get 'Missing Links' error messages ... Why?
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I am not certain I am following you. If the new document gives you no problems send them a copy of that which is what I am suggesting then if the new fie is too big to keep on your server or hard drive either burn it to disk or trash it.

But first send the file to the printer at least a copy of it.

If the outlined logo is giving you problems in the old document select it copy and then try to past it in the new document. Flatten the transparency (Object>Flatten the Transparency) if need be. Then save the new document. Close it then open it to make certain all is well and then send a copy of the new document with the pasted logo.

This should work.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: They get 'Missing Links' error messages ... Why?
                  Sarah@CEL Level 1

Thanks tman69 & Wade,

I've managed to speak to the printing company and sorted it all out.  It was a combination of her trying to view the letter outlines on the raster images as the file has both raster images and vector images in it.  So, she could see the outline of the vector ones but not the others.

Wade, now that I've read your post I think I mis understood you.  I had created another version when saving it.  I have no issues with disk size so didn't even take that into account (I should read more closely).  I have sent them both the original file, and the new saved as file.

Fortunately this is now fixed.

Thanks

• 6. Re: They get 'Missing Links' error messages ... Why?
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

As long as you sorted it all out and you know the internet really lends itself to misunderstandings.

I sometimes find it so hard to understand something that not only is really simple but often I already know it.

So we are all in this together.