10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 2:17 PM by Art_Of_WAR

Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project

zacharylabrosse

Ok,

i've been trying different things but now i can't figure it out.

It's actually a school assignement where we have to create an interface similar to a smartphone.

Me and my partner decided to create a Catalyst project for each page and publish each of them in swf. Then, we wanted to create a main Catalyst project that was embedding each swf in different states.

BUT

It just doesn't work! The embedding doesn't work.

Is the swf published in Catalyst actually  compatible to embed in Catalyst?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project
          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

It's great to hear you are using Flash Catalyst for a school assignment.

You should be able to embed a Catalyst created swf file into another Catalyst project, but there is a bug in beta II that makes this not work. Fortunately there is a work-around:

You can export each project as an fxpl file and and then import all the fxpl file into a new project

1. Open each project

2. Make sure all the content you want to move over appears in your Library panel. If it doesn't, then convert your content to some type of component. A custom component will likely work as your top level component

3. In the Library Panel, right-click and choose "Export Library Package". This will save all components in your current library panel to an fxp file

4. Repeat 1-3 for reach project

5. Create a new project

6. Import all the fxpl files by right-clicking in the Library panel and choosing "import library package". The components from the other file will now appear in your Library panel. You can drag and drop them to the artboard for each state.

Best of luck with the assignment!

Ty

• 2. Re: Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project
            zacharylabrosse Level 1

Thank you very much! It worked well for me...

I will actually explain this to my teacher

Zachary

• 3. Re: Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project
              dragotron75

I was hoping to get around the 20 state limit by creating an SWF and importing it in place of all the states. Because I need a gallery with a lot more images. Am I going to run into a problem with this if I try and import the Library Package? I mean does it import all the states as well?

• 4. Re: Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project
                Tvoliter Adobe Employee

You can get around the 20 state limit in two ways. One is to use custom components. Custom components, like the application, can have up to 20 states. By pushing some of your app content down into custom components you can reduce the number of top level app states.The second way, as you mentioned, is to use a published swf. I recommend custom components over a swf because a swf becomes a black box in Catalyst with limited control while a custom component is fully editable and can interact with the rest of the application.

Ty

• 5. Re: Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project
                  dragotron75 Level 1

Interesting, that is encouraging. I don't really understand what a custom component is though. I read someone who said that you can "export library" after turning everything into custom components then import them. However I tried to export things from the library and it didn't work. It would only let me select one object at a time in the library components view so I couldn't export the whole thing.

• 6. Re: Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project
                    Tvoliter Adobe Employee

A custom component is like other components like buttons, scrollbars, etc.  except you get to define all the behaviors and states.

Try this

1. draw a sqaure

2. right click and choose Convert Artwork to Component > Custom Component

3. Now double-click the custom component to edit it

4. Create a few states and modify the square in each state

5. to exit editing the custom component double-click the white area of the artboard

6. Now add a button to the app

7. With the button selected go to the Interactions panel and choose "On Click, Play Transition to State" and pick a state of your custom component.

Notice that in this example the application only has one state, but a custom component with multiple states was able to capture different appearances of the app.

You can think of designing your app by breaking down the functional parts into custom components. For example: navigation bar, content area, ad area, etc.

Regarding "export library":

After creating a custom component or customizing a built-in component like button you will notice that the library will contain an item representing the definition of that component. When you export as an fxpl file, all components in your library are exported.

Ty

• 7. Re: Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project
                      dragotron75 Level 1

Interesting! I was worried that I was going to start creating my gallery only to find that I would run out of states.... but these "sub states" don't actually count to the state count. I guess that makes sense.

So what i've done is taken each "sub gallery" (if that makes sense) of my gallery and made a photoshop document of each which contains all of the photos and thumbnails. I suppose what I should do is bring each one in and convert all the images to custom components then either animate them within or export them out and reimport them.

Is there actually any benefit to export the animated component and reimport them in though or did I read someone wrong?

• 8. Re: Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project
                        Art_Of_WAR

Ty, you got my hopes up thinking I might be able to resize a presentation I put together in FC. The presentation I have needs to run on a variety of monitors and I was hoping to build it once and then be able to create different size versions depending on the monitor. The first way I thought of was to bring the swf file into InDesign and export as a PDF which I could run to fullscreen but that didn't work out too well. I was also a little confused as to how I could edit a swf file in Flash CS4 Pro, but that doesn't work either. For now, I remade the file at 1920 and run it in FlashPlayer, fullscreen and zoom out. Which works to a fashion, but the text (surprisingly enough) looks better bigger than it does when run at 1440 res fit-to-screen.

Do you have any tips with Beta 2, or do I have to wait for the final release?

I took a look at FB but that is too steep a learning curve for me even though I tried for days to figure it out.

S.

• 9. Re: Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project
                          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Thanks for the feedback.

Fc 1.0 doesn't support resizable components and apps, so for now you have to take your design into FlexBuilder to add support. This is a highly requested feature so resizability is something we are actively working on for a future version.

As far as tips, I'd recommend looking online for various tutorials users have put together for Catalyst. Adobe TV also has some great content on Catalyst (http://tv.adobe.com/search/?q=catalyst).

If you have specific questions please post them to this forum and someone from the Fc team will do their best to answer them.

Best of luck with your project!

Ty

• 10. Re: Embedding a .swf published in Catalyst in another Catalyst project
                            Art_Of_WAR Level 1

Ty, thanks for the response. I use all of the resources I can get my hands on, AdobeTV is outstanding. Terry White's latest on FC urged me to make my first scroll panel instead of the way I had it originally. Flash Catalyst has allowed me to make something quite impressive so don't get me wrong, I have no complaints just a few things I'd like.

S.