9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 12:32 PM by artismobile

Premiere CS4 hangs at capture screen

artismobile Level 1

I recently loaded CS4 on a Windows 7 64bit computer. I only have 2 prodjects loaded. When I open the first project, it hangs on a blank (White) capture screen. It won't let me do anything but close out. It doesn't matter if the capture device in connected or not. I can open the 2nd project by activating the capture device first and allowing it to open Premiere. The first program won't open this way either. I thought it may be something else on the the computer interferring but there's not much more on this computer. Another odd quirk but this one won't let me do anything with my project. Any ideas?

Thanks

Art

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 hangs at capture screen
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You don't need to capture in the same project you work in.  I don't.  I have one project set up that I use just for capture.  Then I organize my clips in Bridge, and bring them into the appropriate Premiere project.

If other projects capture fine, do that.

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 hangs at capture screen
            artismobile Level 1

It has to have something to do with my capturing device which is just a DV camera. I can't open either project from Bridge. It still hangs at the capture screen without me activating capture. The screen is blank. The rest of the program shows but is locked.  If I unplug the capture device from the Firewire input, the 2nd project will open but not the first one. Really odd.

The first project has most of my important information; an 8 minute multicam of a live church band. It won't open. I would be happy to retrieve that sequence. I thought Quicktime was the cause so I deleted it but I have the same problem.  The only other program other than Windows Media is Sonic Fire Pro 5 that works fine.

Art

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 hangs at capture screen
              Harm Millaard Level 7

It may not make much difference, but update Sonic Fire Pro to 5.5. Maybe it helps.

• 4. Re: Premiere CS4 hangs at capture screen
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I can't open either project from Bridge. It still hangs at the capture screen without me activating capture.

Now I'm confused.  The capture screen doesn't come up unless you open it.  It's not a part of opening the project itself.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 hangs at capture screen
                  artismobile Level 1

I did update SonicFire Pro 5.0 to 5.5 just after I installed CS4. It is a new computer build, Windows 7 64bit 12 gig ram HD7850 videocard.

When CS4 starts it goes to the open screen. I click on the project and Premiere opens but hangs on the capture screen but it's blank.(no controlls)  This happens before I do anything else. I can't minimize or close without going into the task Mgr. I can't open from the file on the harddrive, Bridge etc. When I connect my capture device and turn it on, autoplay gives me the option to open in CS4. SOMETIMES I can open one of my projects. (I only have 2) sometimes I can't.  Frustrating! When it does open, it works fine. The first project that has the band will open to CS4 but hangs on the capture screen. When no capture device is connected, the band project will open to CS4 and STILL hang at the capture screen with no capture device connected.

• 6. Re: Premiere CS4 hangs at capture screen
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I click on the project and Premiere opens but hangs on the capture screen

That part doesn't make sense.  The capture screen does not open automatically with the project.  Only once the project is open and you manually open the capture screen will it come up.  In other words, the project will open fully before you can even open the capture screen.

• 7. Re: Premiere CS4 hangs at capture screen
                      artismobile Level 1

Exactly! Feel my demise. I looks like it never closed after I used it the last time. When it opens...there it is and I can't close it without shutting down Premiere. For a better description, it is the outline of the capture window. The inside is blank or White. No controls, tape name, forward,reverse, etc. Just the capture screen, right where I left it before it locked up. Now, the 2nd project will do the same thing unless I open through autoplay from the device control; but not all the time.  It's hit or miss.

• 8. Re: Premiere CS4 hangs at capture screen
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Just the capture screen, right where I left it before it locked up.

Ah.  Now it's starting to sound like a corrupt project file.

• 9. Re: Premiere CS4 hangs at capture screen
                          artismobile Level 1

I guess you are right.  I'ts hung on 3 min and 21 sec. Good thing it's a short project and I have not spent too much time on it.  I'll capture it in a new project and see what happens.