7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 7:27 AM by Powered by Design

multi camera editing

Level 1

Hi everyone. My first time here in forums. Looks great.

I'm using CS3 and was looking in the Adobe design center (video workshop) and notice a multi camera editing tutorial by Jacob Rosenberg. He uses three clips that have been marked - slated - so they can be synched.

I googled his name and found a site where he at one time provided links to those clips for free download for people to practice his tutorial. However, the links don't work anymore.  Grrrrrr.

Does anyone know where I can get 3 relatively small video clips from one scene shot with 3 cameras, where the clips are slated ? So I can practice the tutorial ?  Don't much care about quality or content...it's just to practice what the " Multi Camera Editing" tutorial in Adobe Video Workshop by Jacob Rosenberg provided.

Thanks !

Robodog1

• 1. Re: multi camera editing
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I can't answer the question posed.  But I can suggest it may not need answering.

Unless you plan to be shooting with three synced cameras, it may be better for you to practice with unsynced footage, as you will need to find your preferred method of syncing that.

• 2. Re: multi camera editing
            Level 1

Thanks for your reply Jim, and you're right; I need to learn just about everything - including how to edit without slates. I'm just starting out doing editing, learning the tools and interface and so on. I don't really plan on shooting anything but want to learn as much as I can about Premiere CS3. Going through the tutorials (I'm even printing them out and starting a notebook of them) will help me a lot. I do wish to have some sort of short video clips of slated footage so I can do that tutorial on multi-camera editing. If you see any floating around out there, please let me know !  Thanks again.

• 3. Re: multi camera editing
              Level 1

Hi everyone,

Sorry to be like a broken record....but....

Does anyone know where I can get 3 relatively small video clips from one scene shot with 3 cameras, where the clips are slated ? So I can practice the tutorial ?  Don't much care about quality or content...it's just to practice what the " Multi Camera Editing" tutorial in Adobe Video Workshop by Jacob Rosenberg provided.

I can buy tutorial "books" (classroom in a book and cs3 bible in a couple weeks) with dvd's (sample videos) but in the meantime I'm printing out the help files and making my own notebook from them...and I would love to practice the help files now....hate waiting ....

Any suggestions where to find video samples (especially a few slated from same scene) would be great.  Thanks

Rod

• 4. Re: multi camera editing
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

You can practice multicam editing with any three clips.  They dont have to be of the same scene to practice.   Syncing the clips is just the first step of editing multicam.  Syncing with a "slate" is nothing more than lining up clips with the sound of motion of a common event.  Or syncing them with timecode.   Thee CS3 CIB book does have sample clips of a bike race shot from 4 different angles.

• 5. Re: multi camera editing
                  Level 1

Thanks, Curt.

I have to wait a couple weeks before I buy the CIB book and there are two others I'm interested in too.  There was a tutorial here:

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/

under premiere pro cs3, called "setting up a project" by Max Smith, where you can download the sample files ( two clips of girls riding mountain bikes down a ski trail (shot from ski lift) plus sound and a still image). Pretty nice.  I edited that and came up with this (my first ever edit, which I have shown to my dog who reacts with a lot of enthusiasm:

http://rodneybauer.com/whiteboard.htm

There's a link for the clip on that page at the bottom.

I need MORE ......must practice NOW.... don't want to wait two weeks.

Thanks

Rod

• 6. Re: multi camera editing
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

fyi;  The clips in the CIB are the same biker clips.  Adobe gives publishers the same demo clips for each release.

• 7. Re: multi camera editing