5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 1:07 PM by PatB090

Importing jpg to premiere cs4

burchan

I have imported JPG images into my Premiere Pro CS4 project containing mts video files. The strange thing is that some images are black in preview window but not always. After checking my project that all jpg files are showing I proceeded to render project. Some files rendered black and some were displayed. Images are from Nikon SLR and are 2.5MB in size. I did not reduce them because in previous editions of premiere there was no problem. Why?

• 1. Re: Importing jpg to premiere cs4
          Jim_Simon Level 8

This sounds like the problem that occurs when the image size is just too big.  Premiere will occasionally render them as black.  Resizing the images to more closely match your project's resolution seems to correct the issue.

• 2. Re: Importing jpg to premiere cs4
            burchan Level 1

I need to return to this post since I was not able to resolve my problem. I was using jpg images from the same camera in different projects in the past without fail. Even if images are reduced it is not a guarantee that render will not result in black screen. This problem started on my last project before upgrade to CS4.2 so the upgrade is not the cause. Project that rendered properly in the past now renders jpg images as black screen. The images are JPEG 2.3MB and size is 3872x2592. Pixel depth 32, pixel aspect ratio 1.0.  Note:  Problem started before upgrade to CS4.2. Reducing image size by 50% improve situation but does not guarantee that all images will be good. Timeline display may not show any image as black but some will become black after render process. It was good and now is not. Where is the problem? What has changed?

• 3. Re: Importing jpg to premiere cs4
              the_wine_snob Level 9

While PrPro can handle images up to ~4000 pixels in the largest dimension, there is nothing to be gained, and much to be lost, by doing so. This is one of those times, where bigger is not better.

This ARTICLE will help give some background, and also give tips on doing the resizing in PS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Importing jpg to premiere cs4
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Reducing image size by 50% improve situation but does not guarantee that all images will be good. Timeline display may not show any image as black but some will become black after render process.It was good and now is not. Where is the problem? What has changed?

This is the first report, that I have seen, of this behavior. Most editors prepare their images in PS, prior to Import into PrPro, and no one else has had such issues with any recent version of PrPro. Odd.

Other than giving tips on resizing, and the reasons, I have no clue why some work, but others do not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Importing jpg to premiere cs4
                  PatB090

I have recently seen the same problem with an imported JPG that displayed black in the preview window and after rendering.  I was able to fix this particular instance by opening the JPG in Photoshop and changing the Image Mode from CMYK color to RGB color.