16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2009 2:10 AM by Amalgam123

Output only with "black frame"??

Amalgam123 Level 1

Hi there, I am editing rendered animations from cinema4d, which are in the format 768x480 (image on the right). I´ve been trying everything to export them in exactly that format in QT. I can´t find any export option to get a movie with a screen that is 768x480. Instead it is 720x480 (?), but the moving pictures cover only the center of the final window and leave a huge black frame around it (image on the left). Even if I set compression to "none" (which seems the only way to edit the pixel size of the export format manually) the frame appears (and the movie is in a very bad quality).  I need the movie for a client who will present it on a Windows PC, yet I wanted to finish everything using QT and then convert the final QT into WMV by using QTpro. Can somebody help?

Thanx

Premiere Pro CS4 on MAC OSX 10.5.8

• 1. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I need the movie for a client who will present it on a Windows PC, yet I wanted to finish everything using QT

Leave QT out of it.

Premiere Pro CS4 on MAC OSX 10.5.8

Oh.  You can't.

My condolences.

• 2. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not enough time at the moment....

Look in help for file formats, pixel aspect, etc.  You are probably bringing square pixels in and looking at an export that is nonsquare.  I do believe you should be able to do this.

• 3. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
              Amalgam123 Level 1

Cinema4D does not give me the option to output square and nonsquare as far as I know. I kind of solved the problem by re-rendering in PAL D1 format and masking a black beam on top and bottom. Not very elegant though, since the overall movie format remains a 4:3 ratio. Seems that Premiere Pro on Mac with it´s limitation to QT is not very flexible when it comes to useful output formats...

• 4. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                the_wine_snob Level 9

What options does Cinema4D allow, regarding the Frame Size, PAR and CODEC choices?

I'd suggest exploring those choices, finding the best combo, and then setting your Sequence/Project Preset to match. Note: you may have to use the Desktop (Custom) Preset, and then adjust the various setting to match your Cinema4D footage exactly. Your Sequence/Project Preset (and settings in Desktop Mode) MUST match your source footage 100%, or you will get things like black bars.

Good luck, and PrPro should be able to accommodate you on the Mac, so long as the Preset matches your source footage, and you should have some control over that source footage.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                  Amalgam123 Level 1

Cinema4D, at least my V8.5 version, allows the formats shown in the snapshot. Do you have any recommendations for one of the many compression methods? I thought to go for no compression would create a huge file, maybe not even playable, but at least the maximum quality. In fact the quality is extremely bad instead...(?)

• 6. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What happens when you select "Manual" for the Output from C4D?  Do you get a chance to set additional export options before export begins?

-Jeff

EDIT: Does this tutorial help you at all?

• 7. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                      Amalgam123 Level 1

"Manual" lets me define whatever pixel x pixel output I want to have. In the beginning I set it to 720x480, because I thought it might be a good size for the movie (which is to be shown on computer screens only). I guess that this menue is strikly for the pixels. The popup menue below (format, image attached) has a direct influence on the pixel ratio. But this is more or less a helper to maintain a certain ratio but to be able to change the resolution.

• 8. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                        Amalgam123 Level 1

I can change "pixel", which by default is 1:1. Does Premiere require some different ratio? In the export window premiere seems not to identify movie sizes other than 720xanything (the source size is not shown in the correct format if I import e.g. 1000x600 pixels)...

• 9. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

This quick screen cap should point you in the right direction:

http://bellunevideo.com/tutorials/C4D_Demo/C4D_Demo.html

You can change the parameters to match anything that you export from C4D.  You just have to know exactly what it is you exported.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                            Amalgam123 Level 1

Thanks Jeff, that was a great step forward. :-) One thing still bothers me. When I export the edited movie I have to go through "user defined" to get any resolution other than the predefined ones (I tried out 800x400 instead of 720x480 just to find out what´s possible). I tried with several codecs, since the very nicely working DV PAL & the other defaults won´t allow me to change the export size. However, I seem to be unable to find an export format combination with a good quality result. Any codec I use seems to result in a very bad image quality. Do you have any idea? Thanks, O.

• 11. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

That's because some codecs--particularly the DV codec--have fixed dimensions that you can't divert from. In NTSC-land, DV is 720x480 only, and in PAL-ville, DV is 720x576 only. You can change the PAR to designate a standard 4:3 aspect ratio or a 16:9 aspect ratio, but those pixel dimensions must remain as they are.

Try using QT Animation or "None" as your codec; they'll result in much larger file sizes, but are resolution-independent codecs, meaning that you can set them to fit the pixel dimensions and PAR you require.

• 12. Re: Output only with "black frame"??

Why are you changing the export size from the size you used?

I guess we don't know what size/par you ending up using from C4d.

Datarate is often an issue on export; what are you trying?

• 13. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                                  Amalgam123 Level 1

For some projects I may need an export format that is neither 4:3 nor 16:9. To keep it simple I rendered 800x400 as a sample, which is 2:1 and will therefore not work with the "regular" formats. I sometimes need weird output format sizes e.g. for a webpage (in combination with Flash). The image below shows my results: Top: the source movie from C4D, below left through PrPro with no compression (wonder where the color comes from) and below right MPEG-4 with 100% quality and square pixel format. Both results are not really useable. The pixel format issue is solved, but the quality of the movie is not there yet. Don´t know what else to do...

• 14. Re: Output only with "black frame"??

I would focus on getting an acceptable quality export at the same size/par/frame rate that you are bringing in before trying to change size.

What is the size/par/format of the c4d file?  What are your sequence settings?

• 15. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                                      Amalgam123 Level 1

The settings are the same as for the output.I guess I have to get away from Quicktime as export format. It seems to work with H.264, now I have to find an export format that can be imported in Flash.

As for the project I am working on right now: The client did not accept the 720x480, because he wants to show the stuff full size on a 20something screen. So I am currently re-rendering the scenes in C4D in 1280x720, and will edit the sequence with the parameters shown in the image below (sorry, it´s not in English, but should be recognizable). I hope that what ever comes out (.mp4) is of good quality and can be stored on a DVD. Video editing is much more complex than I thought...

• 16. Re: Output only with "black frame"??
                                        Amalgam123 Level 1

Thanks everybody, I guess I found the solution. And for odd formats in flash I just render a regular PAL format and cut the movie in flash.