6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 7:02 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Perspective in illustrator

dmtetard Level 1

I have a vector file of a shape that needs to be put in perspective according to the jpeg i received on the right.

This seemed so simple to me until tried to match the correct perspective...

I tried guessing with the 3D tool but 160° perspective is the limit and doesn't seem enough.

I tried with the free transform tool by cmd-dragging the corners of the shape to guideliines i drawed on the jpeg, but illustrator resets the bounding box to a rectangle after releasing the mousebutton. It's possible this way, but hard to get it right.

I tried with an enveloppe but that doesn't do perspective.

Is there another (simple!) way to do this in illustrator?

Afbeelding 20.png

• 1. Re: Perspective in illustrator
          JETalmage Level 6

See Online Help regarding the Free Distort tool.

JET

• 2. Re: Perspective in illustrator
            dmtetard Level 1

This is what you refer to? http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Illustrator/

14.0/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e07d0100196cbc5f-646da.html

Doesn't solve the problem of the resetting bouding box each time the 

mouse is released.

• 3. Re: Perspective in illustrator
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

No Doubt about it if you have a clean vector art them bring it into Photoshop s a shape layer or Path if you wish and use the Transform tool as the Distort option. Drag the corners to match the perspective lines on the Illustration and tweak it.

This is a live trace s it is not real accurate but it shows what you can get in ten seconds in Photoshop. I t would be great if Illustrator had a perspective feature but as that feature request has been around for as long as AI exists I would not hold my breath on it and in this case I am not sure such a feature would help but a real distortion tool would.

There is one in Illustrator that can do this but as it has no live preview on the artboard it makes things more difficult rather than easier.

In Photoshop this is simple the path from photoshop can then be pasted into Illustrator and filled with a color as I did.

• 4. Re: Perspective in illustrator
                JETalmage Level 6

Doesn't solve the problem of the resetting bouding box

I never said it did. But the distortion of your image can be matched with the tool (I know, because I did it), although not in a single move.  Use both the so-called "perspective" keyboard modifiers and the skew modifiers.

Yes, several moves are required, and you just have to deal with the tool's horrible bounding box behavior. But your specific expample is quite simple and can be easily matched.

JET

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Perspective in illustrator
                  dmtetard Level 1

That's it! I never thought of it to use photoshop to do the trick.

It was not the most hardest thing to do in illustrator indeed, but it felt like i was doing something wrong with that weird bounding box behavior.

The photoshop way is the more intuitive and accurate.

Thanks both!

• 6. Re: Perspective in illustrator
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You're welcome and of course your assessment of this feature in Illustrator hits the head on the nail. It is not intuitive in Illustrator and the feature needs lots of work.