5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 1:31 AM by reagling

'Get media' only brings in 2mins26secs10frames of 45 min .mov file

reagling Level 1

I'm importing a .mov file into Adobe Premiere Elements 7 but it only brings in a short section of it.

I can play the file in Windows Media Player and watch all 47 minutes of the file (its 2.6gb large) - but though I've tried several different times Elements only gets me 2mins 26 seconds and 10 frames of it.  This is despite the fact that I've successfully imported 1hr's worth of another .mov file filmed and imported on exactly the same settings just before trying to do this one.

I wonder if it is something to do with the indexing having gone wrong somehow - but that is only a vague hunch as I'm baffled why the two near identical files are being treated in different ways.

• 1. Re: 'Get media' only brings in 2mins26secs10frames of 45 min .mov file
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure that's an MOV file? As far as I know, Windows Media Player can't play MOVs and you need Quicktime to play it.

What type of camcorder did this file come from and how did you get it into your computer?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 'Get media' only brings in 2mins26secs10frames of 45 min .mov file
            reagling Level 1

You're quite right - its a MOD file.

This comment here proved enlightening...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1757497#1757497

Removing the plugin that this message talks about has seemingly fixed the problem.

JVC and Adobe need to have serious words about whether JVC are going to carry on making cameras that produces files in this unhelpful format - and if they are it would be good if Adobe could do more to support them without all the work-arounds.

Many thanks for the help though

• 3. Re: 'Get media' only brings in 2mins26secs10frames of 45 min .mov file
              reagling Level 1

Note error in original title - should be .mod files - not .mov

• 4. Re: 'Get media' only brings in 2mins26secs10frames of 45 min .mov file
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You've gotten the format issue worked out - just so many, that it's easy to get confused!

On file Duration issue, I have noticed that with some files, even DV-AVI Type II's, my PrPro will do the same thing. However, I found that just running that file through PrE (seems to do a much better job of getting the full Duration, than does its big-brother), and Exporting the same exact file format fixes the Duration. I've spent years trying to find out exactly what is the problem with these files. I've finally tracked it to the Indexing info in the header of some files. G-Spot shows them as identical, and DupeFile Finder does too. However, I recently ran a problem file through VLC Player and it coughed up an Indexing error. It fixed the index, but does not allow one to do a simple Save, so that the fixed index will be part of the file.

Still, PrE is my "conversion tool," of choice, as it seems to get around the index problem and will write a well-formed index to the file header.

Just an observation on a similar problem, though with a different file type.

Did the removal of the file get things corrected for you?

Along your line of thinking, I'd love to see Adobe able to work more closely with the camera mfgrs. regarding their variations of CODEC's and recording schemes. I would find this particularly useful for PrE, as these are all "consumer CODEC's" and that is the market for PrE. I can see PrPro sticking to more main-stream CODEC's, and such, as it is aimed at a different market, though the two programs do about the same thing.

Some other NLE's, in the PrE arena, seem to do a better job at universal acceptance of CODEC's, but most feel that they are not as powerful, or as easy to use, as PrE is. A trade-off.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 'Get media' only brings in 2mins26secs10frames of 45 min .mov file
                  reagling Level 1

Thanks, Hunt for your helpful reply.

I'm afraid the notification went into my junk mail - which I clearly need to monitor more closely.

What's more, my camera was stolen a few days later so my problems with JVC formatting were resolved when I bought a new camcorder!

R