2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 3:30 PM by chetxyz@yahoo.com

ACR 4.6 Picture Controls

chetxyz@yahoo.com

I am confused about what is happening.  Any help would be appreciated.

I understand that Nikon Picture Controls can be used to change the color balance which may give better color.

I am running CS3 in a 64 bit Vista Ulimate operating system

What I am trying to understand is how the Camera Profile works in the Camera Calibration tab in ACR.  I am currently shooting a Nikon D200 and a D300.  I understand that Nikon picture controls can be available in the Camera Profile of the Camera Calibration tab

I went to http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4040&fileID=3754 and downloaded ACR 4.6.  I then unzipped and installed.

After installing ACR 4.6 I downloaded and installed GND 5.5 at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4576&fileID=4244

The Title bar in ACR shows Camera Raw 4.6.  The Camera Profiles in the ACR Camera Calibration tab shows ACR 4.4 and 4.3.  After installing GND 5.5 the Nikon Picture Controls (NPC) appear in Camera Profiles.  When I click on one of the NPC it seems to work but the Shadows, Red green and Blue Primaries are not changed.

When I go to the DNG 5.5 DNG Converter in the compatibility section of the preferences section it says that it should work for 4.6 and later.

My confusion relates to the fact that my Camera profile in the Camera Profile shows ACR 4.3 and 4.4 – not 4.6 and the DNG converter preferences says 4.6 and later.  Someone that I know who downloaded and installed ACR 4.6 and DNG at the same time has the camera profile showing 4.6. 

Do I have a problem or am I spinning my wheels?  If I have a problem how do I correct the Problem?

• 1. Re: ACR 4.6 Picture Controls
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Forums #1 wrote:

My confusion relates to the fact that my Camera profile in the Camera Profile shows ACR 4.3 and 4.4 – not 4.6 and the DNG converter preferences says 4.6 and later.  Someone that I know who downloaded and installed ACR 4.6 and DNG at the same time has the camera profile showing 4.6.

The fact that there are two older profile versions (4.3 & 4.4) simply mean that the FIRST version to support your camera model was 4.3. The fact that 4.4 is there as well means the profile was modified (improved) for ACR 4.4. the reason both are there are for legacy reasons...

Looking at the Profile drop-down is NOT the way you determine the current version of Camera Raw you have loaded...the ONLY way is using the  "About Plug-ins" menu item or looking at the main ACR title bar in the window (as long as you aren't at full screen).

If you have the Adobe Standard and the vender looks profiles loaded, you're good to go...as to what those profile will or won't do to and for your image...well, that's for you to decide. I tend to use Adobe Standard.

• 2. Re: ACR 4.6 Picture Controls
            chetxyz@yahoo.com Level 1

Thanks for the response.  Your answers was helpful.