6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 6:35 PM by Harron K. Appleman

Cannot view older files using "File / Open"

Liosliath56

We have literally thousands of files going back many years and sometimes I'm required to do a visual search. I have CS4 and when I use "File / Open" to preview old files sometimes it will show the file and sometimes it won't - generally the ones that will not preview are older files that have the little black symbol in the lower left corner of the file icon.  I cannot open all these files and update them to CS4 just to be able to do a visual search.  Is there a way around this? And not, viewing in thumbnail mode in an explorer window doesnt help - it just shows the AI file icon larger.

Thanks for any guidance -

Leslie

• 1. Re: Cannot view older files using "File / Open"
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Leslie,

Have you tried File>Place (having Paste Rmembers Layers ticked in the Layers palette/panel flyout).

Or, just for viewing, you may be able to open them with Acrobat, or maybe even Reader.

• 2. Re: Cannot view older files using "File / Open"
            Liosliath56 Level 1

No, I don't want to place the file, nor do I wish to open the file - just see what it looks like without committing to opening it.  Thanks for your suggestions but this is going around your butt to get to your elbow.  I want the File / Open function to work as it *should* and show me what the graphic looks like in the preview pane.

• 3. Re: Cannot view older files using "File / Open"
              Harron K. Appleman Level 4

I want the File / Open function to work as it *should* and show me what the graphic looks like in the preview pane.

I don't know what's going on with that. However...

I cannot open all these files and update them to CS4 just to be able to do a visual search.  Is there a way around this?

The answer is yes... try using Bridge.

The only limitation with Bridge preview, I believe, is that the AI files had to have been saved with the PDF compatibility option.

• 4. Re: Cannot view older files using "File / Open"
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I want the File / Open function to work as it *should* and show me what the graphic looks like in the preview pane.

Well, I think that it does. Those old files simply don't contain a PDF or EPS page preview, which is what the file dialog uses. That basically means they were not saved with PDF compatible content at all or the option to embed page thumbnails was turned off at least, which was common way back in teh old days. I'm afraid there is no solution otehr than to use Bridge and even that may not always work...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Cannot view older files using "File / Open"
                  Skullmaker Level 3

It is a bug.

The bug came with CS3 and Adobe did not care to fix it for CS4.

Adobe has not provided an update for over 3 years.

Adobe just does not care to fix its failures. But if you have the free Bridge program, it can generated a preview of ANY illustrator version. Yep, you have to use 2 applications to do one little thing.

• 6. Re: Cannot view older files using "File / Open"
                    Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Well, Bridge is not exactly "free"...

... and in CS2, Bridge requires that .ai files be saved with PDF content if you want to see thumbnails. This might have changed in newer versions.

ST Thumbnail Explorer, on the other hand, is a nice piece of shareware that will give you a preview of just about any graphic format in an Explorer-like interface. For Windows only, I believe. http://www.softfields.com