13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 8:02 PM by the_wine_snob

Chapter marks

Soula-55 Level 1

I have a short clip that will be viewed on a computer as mpg2 file and I use the adobe media encoder for the export

I would like to add chapter markers on that clip, so that when one clicks the arrow on the keyboard, one goes to the next chapter. I have tried different options but nothing works, the chapter marks don`t work. There must be a way to do this, it just escapes me.

Can somebody help me solve this problem. Thanks to all

• 1. Re: Chapter marks
          Harm Millaard Level 7

See Encore Chapter Markers in the help file or manual (page 178).

• 2. Re: Chapter marks
            Colin Brougham Level 6

You can't embed chapter marks in an MPEG2 file (at least, not that I'm aware of)--you need to author a DVD to do that. You don't actually have to burn a disc, but you'll have to import the MPEG2 file into Encore to either add chapter marks or to bring in the ones you create in Premiere. If you create chapter marks in Premiere, be sure to give them a name before you export, or they otherwise will not be recognized in Encore--this is a common trip-up.

• 3. Re: Chapter marks
              Soula-55 Level 1

Thank you so much for your response.

The request is for a file with mpg2 extension. If I understand correctly, it seems that it cannot be done in P Pro.

Colin, thanks for the export tip to Encore, it is good to know pitfalls in advance.

• 4. Re: Chapter marks
                Colin Brougham Level 6

The request is for a file with mpg2 extension. If I understand correctly, it seems that it cannot be done in P Pro.

Well, it's not so much a limitation of PPro as it is with the MPEG2 container itself--it simply does not provide the ability to write in data or metadata like that. Some container formats--for example, QuickTime--do have that ability, but if you need an MPG, you need an MPG. Are you going to DVD, or are you trying to deliver an MPEG file by itself?

• 5. Re: Chapter marks
                  Soula-55 Level 1

The request is for a simple mpeg file by itself, actually a few files. So, I was thinking to create a single mpeg file but having chapters, so that they can go from chapter to chapter, instead of having a bunch of little files.

• 6. Re: Chapter marks
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Got it. I think you might be out of luck with an MPEG2 container, but you might be able to use an MPEG4 container with MPEG2 video, and be able to put chapter/track markers in that. However, that's not within the realm of capabilities for PPro and AME, so you'd have to look to some third-party applications to do that.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Chapter marks
                      Soula-55 Level 1

That`s a novel idea!!!! Neat!!!!

A quick search on the Internet shows converters from mpeg2 to mpeg4.  By instinct I do not like converters, usually the quality is compromised. I am open though to suggestions regarding third-party applications if you know anything specific

• 8. Re: Chapter marks
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Careful--a converter application is probably not what you want. That'll likely recompress your video and pop the video into a different container at the same time, and might not even give you the ability to add chapters, either. If you need MPEG2 video (the "stuff"), and don't care too much about the container (the "box" that holds the "stuff"), you're starting to get into some dark video magicks that might make your head spin

PPro and AME allow you to put certain kinds of "stuff" in certain kinds of "boxes"--going outside the lines is generally not possible with those alone. And for what it's worth, I may be completely talking out of my backside about being able to put MPEG2 video in an MP4 container--some camcorders, like the Sony EX1/3 shoot MPEG2 video and put it in an MP4 container, but I don't know if that's feasible outside of a camera.

Since I've never attempted this, I can't speak definitively on it, but check out this Wikipedia entry about container formats. There's a good table there showing what you can put into the various containers; from there, check out VideoHelp Tools for any number of free applications to help you package your video as you need.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Chapter marks
                          Soula-55 Level 1

Thanks a million Colin.

It is an idea that should be explored, one never ceases learning.....

• 10. Re: Chapter marks
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

It is an idea that should be explored, one never ceases learning.....

Indeed! In fact, this conversation motivated me to do a little more testing, and I found that I was able to mux (shorthand for "multiplex") an MPEG2 video stream (.m2v file), AC3 audio, and a chapter text file (just a simple .txt document) into an MP4 container, and it played back and I was able to navigate to the chapter marks AND the chapter names showed up! Now, so far, I've only gotten it to play back in Media Player Classic--I don't have the MPEG2 decoding component for QT, and I don't have one for Windows Media Player either, so you'll need to have those components to get this to work on those players, but here goes:

1. Encode your video using the MPEG2-DVD setting (I'm assuming that you want to stick to MPEG2, but feel free to experiment), so that you end up with "elementary" streams of video (.m2v) and audio (.wav, .ac3, .mp2--again, it will depend on the decoders you have installed).
                            2. Create a text file with your chapters in a format like this:

CHAPTER1=00:00:30:00
                              CHAPTER1NAME=Look
                              CHAPTER2=00:01:30:00
                              CHAPTER2NAME=At
                              CHAPTER3=00:02:00:00
                              CHAPTER3NAME=This

3. Download and install YAMB (Yet Another MP4Box UI).
                            4. Use "Creation Mode" to create an MP4 file, adding your video, audio, and chapter files. Name your output, and create the file. As said above, in Media Player Classic, this works beautifully, letting you skip from chapter to chapter mark, with the text of the chapter name displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the player. Very cool, if I do say so myself!

I hope that helps--I'm interested to hear how this works out for you--good luck!

ADDENDUM:

Here's what you'll see in MPC:

chapters.png

... and here's the skinny via MediaInfo:

General
                            Complete name                    : E:\WalstromMarine.mp4
                            Format                           : MPEG-4
                            Format profile                   : Base Media
                            Codec ID                         : isom
                            File size                        : 209 MiB
                            Duration                         : 3mn 36s
                            Overall bit rate                 : 8 103 Kbps
                            Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-12-01 18:23:55
                            Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-12-01 18:23:55
                            Writing application              : Yamb 2.1.0.0 [http://yamb.unite-video.com]

Video
                            ID                               : 1
                            Format                           : MPEG Video
                            Format version                   : Version 2
                            Format profile                   : Main@Main
                            Format settings, Matrix          : Default
                            Codec ID                         : 65
                            Duration                         : 10s 1ms
                            Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                            Bit rate                         : 7 909 Kbps
                            Nominal bit rate                 : 8 000 Kbps
                            Maximum bit rate                 : 8 530 Kbps
                            Width                            : 720 pixels
                            Height                           : 480 pixels
                            Display aspect ratio             : 0.073
                            Original display aspect ratio    : 4:3
                            Frame rate mode                  : Constant
                            Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
                            Standard                         : NTSC
                            Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
                            Scan type                        : Interlaced
                            Scan order                       : Bottom Field First
                            Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.764
                            Stream size                      : 204 MiB (98%)
                            Writing library                  : TMPGEnc MPEG Editor 1.3.4.100
                            Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-12-01 18:23:55
                            Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-12-01 18:23:58

Audio
                            ID                               : 2
                            Format                           : AC-3
                            Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
                            Codec ID                         : ac-3
                            Duration                         : 3mn 36s
                            Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                            Bit rate                         : 192 Kbps
                            Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                            Channel positions                : L R
                            Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                            Resolution                       : 16 bits
                            Stream size                      : 4.95 MiB (2%)
                            Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-12-01 18:23:58
                            Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-12-01 18:23:58

Menu
                            00:00:30.000                     : Look
                            00:01:30.000                     : At
                            00:02:00.000                     : This

I'm geeked about this--new things are opening up!

• 11. Re: Chapter marks
                              Soula-55 Level 1

WOW!!!

I must say this IS impressive!!! It certainly motivates everyone to experiment and try new methods!!!

Thanks again Colin, I am really overwhelmed!!!

• 12. Re: Chapter marks
                                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Very cool, Colin!

• 13. Re: Chapter marks
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Hope that Colin's method works a treat for you. He is an asset here!

Good luck,

Hunt