3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 1:10 AM by Mylenium

Issues with AE CS4 and PHOTOSHOP CS4 on Windows 7

Small-trench

Hi,

I'm using the CS4 master suite on windows 7 (64bits) for a while now, and i noticed some bugs which seem to result from a bad compatibility between thoses programs.

Just so you know, i made all the updates for these softwares.

So, first, AE: i'm on a quad-core processor (Intel core I7 920) with 6go of ram, and only 2 of my 4 cores are detected in the multi-treatment section. I tried it on Windows XP SP3 32bits, (i have a dual-boot XP SP3 32bits/Seven 64bits), and my 4 cores are detected. I was told that, some time ago, the Core I7 processor weren't well detected by after effects, but now it seems that it's more a problem with Windows 7.

I can't work using my full power on after effects, which is quite deceiving. I hope they will be an update soon dedicated to windows 7.

And now, Photoshop. (sorry, i know that it's not the right section, but i guess it will be easier to answer if both problems are descripted in the same topic)

I use the 11.0.1 version (the latest), and even with that, the brush is awfully slow on windows 7. I tried with and without the "Open-GL drawing" enabled, it doesn't change anything. I thought it could be the fault of Windows 7's "tablet PC" function, but even after uninstalling it, i still have the same problem. As for after effects, i tried it on XP, and it works normaly.

For that too, i hope they'll soon be an update, cause for both programs, i would like to be able to use my processor at full power and all my memory.

I don't know if Adobe is already aware of these problems, cause i couldn't find others testimony, except one very recently from someone having the same problems (even worse, only 1 of his core was detected) on a core I7 860.

I hope someone will be able to help me ^^

Benoit.

• 1. Re: Issues with AE CS4 and PHOTOSHOP CS4 on Windows 7
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

So, first, AE: i'm on a quad-core processor (Intel core I7 920) with 6go of ram, and only 2 of my 4 cores are detected in the multi-treatment section. I tried it on Windows XP SP3 32bits, (i have a dual-boot XP SP3 32bits/Seven 64bits), and my 4 cores are detected. I was told that, some time ago, the Core I7 processor weren't well detected by after effects, but now it seems that it's more a problem with Windows 7.

I can't work using my full power on after effects, which is quite deceiving. I hope they will be an update soon dedicated to windows 7.

Small-trench:

The "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" feature requires at least 2 GB per core in order to launch the rendering instances for each core.

As you can see, 6 GB of RAM is not enough to launch four instances, and this is the most likely reason why it's only enabling it for 2 cores.

The reason why it could appear in one OS but not the other could simply be a slight difference in available RAM left by other apps or OS. Since you are below the recommended amount, the threshold is very thin.. But in any case, using 4 cores to render with only 6 GB is going to be very frustrating (it may even be slower than using 2 cores). I suspect you could get all 4 cores enabled by moving the Longer/Faster RAM previews slider in Preferences > Multiprocessing so that it's more towards the "Faster" end. But again, the first thing would be getting at least 2 GB per core (ie, at least 8 GB in your case).

It's important in any case that you update to After Effects 9.02, since that update fixed a few issues related to multprocessing and Core i7 processors.

And now, Photoshop. (sorry, i know that it's not the right section, but i guess it will be easier to answer if both problems are descripted in the same topic)

No, I'd recommend posting this question in the Photoshop forum.

• 2. Re: Issues with AE CS4 and PHOTOSHOP CS4 on Windows 7
            Small-trench Level 1

Thanks for the answer!

Somebody already said that to me, and i think that's not the problem. I tried to move the slider from one side to the other, without any difference.

Also, my four cores are detected in a 32 bits OS, where only 3 of my 6 go of ram are detected. So if AE can find 4 cores (not use them, only find) with 3go of ram, why couldn't it find them with 6go? And even if that was the problem, i should be able to render using 3 of my 4 cores (which i can do in XP by moving the slider on the "longer ram preview" side with only 3go of ram detected). I'm already on AE 9.0.2, so i guess AE is some problems with Seven. I guess we'll need to have an answer from someone unsing AE on Seven with 8go of ram to be sure of that.

There's a screenshot (attached) from my "memory and multi-treatment" menu. In the red zone, i should have my 4 cores detected even without being able to use them all (at least, that's the case in XP), but there's only 2.  It's not a big deal, i can work fast enough with 2 cores, but if there's really a bug on Seven, that's something adobe should work on.

Edit: I also joined a screenshot of the same menu when AE is running on XP. I guess it will be clearer now.

For photoshop, i'll put it in the right section.

• 3. Re: Issues with AE CS4 and PHOTOSHOP CS4 on Windows 7
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

In simple words: You W7 is not ticking right. Both your issues strike me as beiung systemic and not directly related to AE or PS. So here are the things I can think of:

• it was never correctly installed in the first place and misses a critical component
              • it selected wrong versions of DLLs and drivers from the install archive (there is a crucial difference between multithreaded and non-multithreaded versions of the same DLL for instance)
              • you did not install a specific driver
              • a driver is not compatible with W7 and forces the whole thing in quirks mode
              • a program or an automated update replaced a critical system component

Whatever it is, I suggest you check all the usual places (device manager, event viewer, Windows Update history) and investigate potential causes. For core7i processor also often specific drivers are required to handle power management in combination with the motehrboard, so that is worth looking into as well. The same applies to the BIOS, which may require different boot options for a 64bit OS vs. your 32bit XP.

Mylenium