2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 9:47 AM by BoydMills

changing the background image of a canvas at runtime

BoydMills Level 1

=========

[

Bindable]protected var bgImage:Image;

private

private

function GetConfigurationResult( event:WsVCIGetConfigurationDataResultEvent):void

{

var simage:String = event.result.Image;

var decoded:ByteArray;

decoder.decode( simage );

decoded = decoder.toByteArray( );

bgImage.data = decoded;

setStyle(

"backgroundImage", "assets/images/marshes2.jpg" );

}

=========

The code above is the result event from a call to a web service to get the contents of an image file from and SQL database.

Works ok up to bgImage.data = decoded;

But using "setStyle" has no parameter for passing the bytearray data block of the image.

The above code, calling [ ("backgroundImage", "assets/images/marshes2.jpg" ] does something, but not what I want.

The web service is called from the canvas [ initialize="init();"] function.

When I set canvas feature [ backgroundImage="{bgImage}" ] it resolves, but I get some error trap from some low level image handling module.

How do I resolve a background  image during load at runtime?

• 1. Re: changing the background image of a canvas at runtime
          BoydMills Level 1

I think my original post was a little short on detail.

The object bgImage:Image is populated by extracting the contents of an image file stored in an SQL database extracted by way of a web service.

That all works, I get the bytearray of the image into my variable.

I do this in other places where I am displaying an Image on top of (within ?) a canvas.

My issue here is to use this bytearray that is the data section of an image file as the background for the canvas itself.

Every example I have found requires the canvas background be loaded from an explicity file or be changed by refereing to a different explicity file.  What I need here is to load the background after making the round trip to a web service.

Any words of wisdom?

Boyd

• 2. Re: changing the background image of a canvas at runtime
            BoydMills Level 1

Since setStyle takes a string and an object for inputs, one would expect that the following would work

===========

private function GetConfigurationResult( event:WsVCIGetConfigurationDataResultEvent):void

{// retrieve the 64base encoded image from the web service by ResultEvent

var

bgImage:Image =new Image();

var simage:String = event.result.Image;

var decoded:ByteArray;

var

decoder:Base64Decoder = new Base64Decoder();

decoder.decode( simage );

decoded = decoder.toByteArray( );

bgImage.data = decoded;

setStyle(

"backgroundImage", bgImage );

}

============

But this generates the following error:

==========

Error: Unable to load 'Image52'.
            at mx.skins::RectangularBorder/updateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\fr amework\src\mx\skins\RectangularBorder.as:237]
            at mx.skins.halo::HaloBorder/updateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\fram ework\src\mx\skins\halo\HaloBorder.as:222]
            at mx.skins::ProgrammaticSkin/validateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\f ramework\src\mx\skins\ProgrammaticSkin.as:421]
            at mx.managers::LayoutManager/validateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\f ramework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:622]
            at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects \framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:677]
            at Function/http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
            at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher2()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framew ork\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8628]
            at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framewo rk\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8568]

==============

But passing a filename to setStyle works!!!!

But I need the image to come from a database!!!!!!

Help!