4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 6:39 AM by darwinfisch

flv/swf playback audio mystery

darwinfisch
      I have an FLV playing through an embedded SWF in my director 10.1 movie. Nothing fancy, just using the FLV playback component in flash 8 and importing that into director. This plays fine on a mac, and even on a PC when viewing the movie within director, but when I publish the audio disappears. I've been trying different combinations of swf settings in director (dts, static, linked media, etc), but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm at the end of my rope here...

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: flv/swf playback audio mystery
          pvansch
          Hey darwinfish, have you downloaded the MX 2004 update? It updates the shockwave player and flash asset xtra to 10.1.1. The Flash Asset Xtra improves flash 8 playback.
          Also what encoding did you use for your FLV? I have done this before and found the Truemotion encoder better than the Sorenson.

And finally, how are you importing the FLV into your SWF? I never add to the timeline especially if your video is large. Use a Video Component and stream the FLV once your swf is loaded. For example you could add the following actionscript into the first frame of your swf assuming you have a video component labelled 'VideoObj' and a external movie 'myMovie.flv'

var netConn:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
          netConn.connect(null);
          var netStream:NetStream = new NetStream(netConn);
          var videoStatus

VideoObj.attachVideo(netStream);
          netStream.setBufferTime(1);
          netStream.play("myMovie.flv");

Hope this helps.
          • 2. Re: flv/swf playback audio mystery
            darwinfisch Level 1
            I ran the original update to allow Flash 8 playback in MX 04. This has been fine up until now. Is there another update available?

I went with the playback component for ease of not having to create and program my player controls, but just for grins and giggles I went in and added the video using the NetConnection and NetStream classes. The result was the same: audio in the authoring environment, none in the projector.

Right now I'm just chalking this up to 'one of those things', and working around it. This means I've split the program into two versions; one which plays a WMV and another which plays a MOV. Ugly, but it works.
            • 3. Re: flv/swf playback audio mystery
              Level 7
              Did you include the swadcmpr xtra?
              • 4. Re: flv/swf playback audio mystery
                darwinfisch Level 1
                The swadcmpr xtra was included, but your mention of it made me want to try adding the swastrm xtra as well. That didn't work either. I'm wondering if it is something to do with an xtra file, though - that would explain why this plays correctly on a mac but not a PC, if they're using platform-specific versions of the xtras...