28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 6:58 PM by the_wine_snob

Playback problem in CS4

bowen59

When I try to play back a video (any video I've tried), it plays for a few frames (less than a second) and then returns to start. It does this in both the source viewer and the in the program viewer. I can single-step through the video and change the position in the video, so I know it's all there, but play doesn't work. I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Playback problem in CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The common denominator is usually OE.

Wrong setup, wrong video codec, wrong hardware/software, wrong drivers, wrong something else.

A bit hard to tell with the complete lack of details. Have a look here: Some suggestions , read carefully and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 2. Re: Playback problem in CS4
            bowen59 Level 1

> The common denominator is usually OE.

Wouldn't doubt it.

> answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

Well, I suppose I was hoping somebody would say something like: "You need to set the such-and-such to set the playback range."

If nobody recognizes the problem off-hand, the chance that I will get help here probably drops to somewhere between slim and nil. However, here are my details.

1. CODECS: Every CODEC I have video for. (AVCHD, H.264/MP4, AVC NTSC)

2. Premiere Pro 4.2, Mac

3. Mac OS 10.6.2, One Display

4. 2xDual Core Xeon

5. 7GB Ram

6. NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

7. One Display, 2560 x 1600, 32 bit color

8. Built-in audio (Mac Pro)

9. HD: 1TB capacity, 587GB free

10. No capture device

11. No capture software

12. No third-party plug-ins

13. No error messages

14. I want to play the video. I've loaded into the project so I can see it.

15. I am trying to learn to use the program so I have very little experience with it. Sure could be a mistake on my part, but no idea what.

16. I've tried loading different video files with different CODECS and I've checked to make sure updates are installed. No matter what video I play, no matter where I start, the result is the same: it plays a few frames (less than a second) and then stops and returns to the start of where I tried to play. I haven't used this program much, but I have never seen it NOT do this.

• 3. Re: Playback problem in CS4
              Jim_Simon Level 8

16. I've tried loading different video files

Premiere Pro is a professional tool meant for professionals, and hence has a tendency to prefer the standard camera formats professionals use.  It often has fits with non-standard formats consumers tend to use.

Make sure to use media from a pro level camera and not some random video file.  DV and DVCPRO HD should work fine in the trial.  AVCHD, AVC-I, HDV and XDCAM will only work in the paid version.  For now, don't use any other type of video.  (At least till you know something standard works.  Then you can either play with the non-standard to try and make it work, or decide that Premiere is the wrong tool for the work you want to do.)

• 4. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                bowen59 Level 1

> AVCHD, AVC-I, HDV and XDCAM will only work in the paid version.

I am using the paid version.

> For now, don't use any other type of video.

I only have the video I have. If you can point me to a video file somewhere on the net (however short) that should work, I will be happy to download it and try it. The video files I've tried export fine and play back fine in QuickTime. They just won't play in Premiere Pro itself.

> Then you can either play with the non-standard to try and make it work

The program is advertised as supporting AVCHD and I paid for it on that basis; it is hardly reasonable for Adobe to take my money and then tell me it doesn't "really" support AVCHD. With regard to the other formats I've tried, I only tried them because they were handy and I wanted to rule out an AVCHD-specific problem.

There is another user who has just posted a very similar-sounding problem, and his set-up is completely different than mine:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/533660?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  If you can point me to a video file somewhere on the net (however short) that should work, I will be happy to download it and try it.

Don't do that is what I'm saying.  Use only camera footage you shot yourself using a standard camera - DV, DVCPRO HD, AVC-I, AVCHD, HDV, XDCAM.

• 6. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    it is hardly reasonable for Adobe to take my money and then tell me it doesn't "really" support AVCHD.

Have they told you that?

• 7. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                      bowen59 Level 1

> Use only camera footage you shot yourself using a standard camera - DV, DVCPRO HD, AVC-I, AVCHD, HDV, XDCAM.

I AM using footage I shot myself with my own camera. When I referred to loading a file off the net, I was only suggesting a controlled experiment with a known "good" file that other people have been able to have play. Right now, no file I have works.

• 8. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I AM using footage I shot myself with my own camera.

OK.  What model camera?

• 9. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                          bowen59 Level 1

> OK.  What model camera?

The new AVCHD files are from a Canon Vixia HF100.

The other files I referred to were shot with older cameras or were output files from some other video program. No matter the source and format, however, they all show the same problem. No video will play for more than a few frames.

• 10. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                            bowen59 Level 1

>> it is hardly reasonable for Adobe to take my money and then tell me it doesn't "really" support AVCHD.

> Have they told you that?

No. I thought perhaps you were suggesting that I shouldn't use AVCHD because it wasn't a pro format and that I shouldn't expect it to work and that it was no fault of Adobe's if it didn't. If I misunderstood your meaning, then the fault is entirely mine.

• 11. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                              web@andrewsilk.com Level 1

make sure you match the exact codec to the sequence.  also, note that on some of the canon avchd camcorders, you want to use the interlaced setting, even if you recorded it in canon's "prorgressive" or frame mode.  also, make sure the frame rate is correct.  this can make a world of difference.  another question for you, when you drop the video on the timeline, is the render bar red or green or something else?  it should be green when you have the correct settings!  - andy

• 12. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

You are using AVCHD material, which requires a beast of a machine. Your setup with a single disk is not enough and your CPU's are below par as well. Most golfers would like that, but for editing it is not advised. The space is there, but not the speed required. Your MAC does not meet minimum requirements. EOS.

• 13. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The new AVCHD files are from a Canon Vixia HF100.

Alright.  Have you handled the media properly?  You need to transfer the entire top level folder from the flash cards to your hard drive, and then use Premiere's Media Browser to import the media.

• 14. Re: Playback problem in CS4

I would also suggest looking to see how your external hard drive is connected.  usb2 probably won't cut it.  either will firewire 400.  try, firewire 800 or esata!

• 15. Re: Playback problem in CS4

you may have enough power, I can play back on my dual core 2 laptop, so if you have a mac pro with 2xdual core (4 cores, you should be able to at least get something going.  check the sequences, and hopefully adobe will become more fcp like and recognize what kind of clip you drop on the timeline and then adjust accordingly. 

in all seriousness, I have both fcp and premiere and I've just about had it with premiere, I' loose way too much time troubleshooting for any savings or speed gains adobe claims are possible. (you could save a ton if the software lived up to decent reliability standards!)  Just switch!

• 16. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

usb2 probably won't cut it.  either will firewire 400.

I disagree.  The data rate of AVCHD is actually less than that of DV.  The CPU will give out trying to decompress the media before the hard drives stumble over serving it.

• 17. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

you could save a ton [of time] if the software lived up to decent reliability standards!

I do OK.  And in fact my work flow has never been as fast as it is now with CS4.

• 18. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                            bowen59 Level 1

> You need to transfer the entire top level folder from the flash cards to your hard drive, and then use Premiere's Media Browser to import the media.

I tried that. Same result.

> Your setup with a single disk is not enough and your CPU's are below par as well.

I've tried multiple video formats in varying resolutions (SD as well as HD), and they all show exactly the same problem. I don't think the video format is the problem. If I saw variations in behavior depending upon the video format and resolution, then sure, I'd be willing to bet it is a format issue, but I don't, so I'm doubtful of that explanation.

• 19. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

I tried that. Same result.

OK.  That pretty much rules out the major operator error issues.  Seems like it should work.

Can you play the media clips outside of Premiere?

• 20. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                                bowen59 Level 1

I don't have anything outside of Premiere that can play a raw AVCHD file. The other formats I've tried play fine outside of Premiere Pro.

This guy's problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/533660?tstart=0

sounds strangely similar to mine and he's not even on the same platform as me (Vista vs. Snow Leopard). Could be coincidence of course. Weirdly enough, he can get his videos to play in Premiere Elements but not in Premiere Pro.

• 21. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                                  bowen59 Level 1

I take it back. Encore can play the AVCHD video. Not too smoothly as it really pegs all 4 CPUs, but it does play.

• 22. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Editing takes more muscle than playing. See #12.

• 23. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                                      bowen59 Level 1

> Editing takes more muscle than playing. See #12.

No doubt; but I haven't even gotten as far as editing; I'm just asking it to play and so far I haven't been able to find a video file that it can play, even SD video.

• 24. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you try VLC, MPC, WMP and the like?

• 25. Re: Playback problem in CS4

um, did you try the things here,

http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

like trashing the prefs? 

also, try resetting the viewer and put it at 25% and also, try these things with dv video, not avchd, that way we will know that it is not your processor power or hard drive.-

• 26. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I agree.  Trashing your preferences file is the logical next step.

-Jeff

• 27. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                                              bowen59 Level 1

Problem solved.

I do my work in an ordinary user account. (I keep my administrator account separate from my working account for security reasons.) Adobe Updater won't run in ordinary user accounts. I updated Premiere manually from the website, which I've done before with Adobe apps without difficulty. However, Premiere has hidden component dependencies that don't update when you update Premiere from the website. (As I now know but didn't then.) When I ran Adobe Updater from my admin account, these component updates were detected and downloaded. Once they were installed, Premiere began to run normally.

To everyone who had suggestions, thanks so much for your help. Even if they didn't pay off, testing them eliminated potential causes and sped the search process, which certainly would have taken much longer without your help.

• 28. Re: Playback problem in CS4
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted out. PrPro (and Encore) does not like running in anything but an Administrator account. Neither works perfectly in a fully networked environment, nor in a lab environment.

Thanks for reporting and glad for your success!

Hunt