1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 3:24 PM by ~graffiti

Which to install first, Reader 9 or CS3 (with Acrobat 8)?

jemenake

I've got a dilemma.

I'm reinstalling my computer from scratch, and I've got everything else installed. But it's time to put on Reader and CS3.

The problem is that want to use the features of full-blown Acrobat, but it's in CS3, so it's version 8. However, some PDF's I seem to want Reader (or Acrobat) 9 to be viewed.

I don't remember which order it is, but I know that, if I install them in the wrong order, then I'll get an error message when trying to view PDF's in Firefox. The message is something like "Acrobat cannot be opened in a browser" or "This document cannot be opened in a browser". The only way to view the PDF is to Save As... to my hard-drive and then double-click on it to launch Acrobat or Reader in its own window.

After doing some googling, I found a solution that, I think, temporarily fixed the problem. It was something like going into Firefox and munging around with the add-ons/extensions. But it was weird because I couldn't ever delete the Acrobat 8 extension, I could only give Reader 9 higher priority, I think.

And I also recall that it wasn't a permanent fix, because the problem would come back sometimes after the Adobe Updater put on an update of either Acrobat or Reader.

Does anybody have a solid way of making sure that Reader 9 and Acrobat 8 don't step on each other like this?

(Oh, and in case there's any confusion, I want Reader 9 to be what always launches in the browser, not Acrobat 8)

- Joe

• 1. Re: Which to install first, Reader 9 or CS3 (with Acrobat 8)?
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jemenake wrote:

Does anybody have a solid way of making sure that Reader 9 and Acrobat 8 don't step on each other like this?

(Oh, and in case there's any confusion, I want Reader 9 to be what always launches in the browser, not Acrobat 8)

- Joe

If you are running Windows then, no. There is no way to assure both of them running properly. It isn't recommended or supported by Adobe to have both.