4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 10:14 AM by the_wine_snob

How to Import video footage from DVD to PPRO CS3 ?

kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Hello,

I have some video footage on a DVD , which is in .VOB format and I am trying to Import the footage from a DVD to Ppro CS3  but had difficulty doing it.

I tried to search for this topic here, but didn't get my answer , although our buddy Hunt mention something like renaming the .VOB to .MPG..I'll try that.

But Importing videos from a DVD to PPro is something that we might do very often, does anyone know the correct way to Import video footage from a DVD to PPro CS3.

Once i had to play the DVD on a DVD player and had to go through captering process (manually capering) that was too much work.

Is there any PLUG IN  or third party plug in for PPro to this this job !!

Thanks .

• 1. Re: How to Import video footage from DVD to PPRO CS3 ?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

i had to play the DVD on a DVD player and had to go through captering process

That's the best way.

• 2. Re: How to Import video footage from DVD to PPRO CS3 ?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

There is no real "plug-in" for CS3. However, CS4.1 & 4.2 DO allow for the Import of 100% DVD-compliant (very important) .VOB's.

Your manual method is a good one, and is highly recommended. I just had to do that exact same thing for a client yesterday. Not something that I like, as that footage has already been compressed to MPEG-2, so there has been quality loss. I did my capture to DV-AVI Type II, for editing in PrPRo.

This ARTICLE will give you some background on VOB's, plus some suggestions for handling the contained MPEG-2 footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to Import video footage from DVD to PPRO CS3 ?
              kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Thanks Jim and Hunt !!

yes I think I will do that , Ok that's great that CS4 has the option to do that .

Hunt , I think its not a bad idea to have a copy of vegas 9 , it becomes very helpful and handy at times like this.

Believe it or not many times I dragged and dropped different media types on its timeline and then i use "render as AVI" it does a great job.

One times I even imported PAL footage and mixed it with NTSC on the same timeline and it worked !!

I mean premiere and AE is something that I really enjoy working with , but I guess its not a bad idea to work with different programs.

Vegas 9 imported the .VOB and flash as easy as an AVI file on its timeline and rendered it as an AVI !!

I think it saves us some times , when we don't have time to capture from a deck !!

• 4. Re: How to Import video footage from DVD to PPRO CS3 ?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree that the "toolbox" can never be too full. I have a half-dozen NLE's, and besides Audition, have that many audio-editing programs. Each fills a need for me with the odd source footage that I get.

I've never used any of the Vegas products, so thanks for the tip.

Good luck,

Hunt