6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 8:51 PM by Mark Linthicum

Why does Cloning in AE9 Suck???

Mark Linthicum

Using the clone tool with a source Time Shift of -1 after about 6 frames AE takes about 10min to respond!??

This was the same in AE8, why could Combustion do this effortlessly 5 years ago on an old G5??

I am using a quad core Mac Pro with 9gigs of RAM, this should not be hard to do!!!

Also still get out of memory errors, crashes This program is getting worse with each update!

• 1. Re: Why does Cloning in AE9 Suck???
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Do you use OpenGL? If so, turn it off, especially the Accelerate footage, layer and composition panels option. That aside, you need to be much more specific. If you use certain compressed source materials, AE needs to decompress them full and conform them to the Media Cache, which can take a while if the frames did not exist before. Converting such sources beforehand might already greatly improve things. That aside, anything is possible. These days Macs are worse than PCs with Apple messing things up with every update. you may simply experience a Quicktime issue or fall victim to a generic hyperthreading issue such as described here.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why does Cloning in AE9 Suck???
            Mark Linthicum Level 1

Thanks for the infor I will investigate!

Tried ProRes codec and Animation no difference!

• 3. Re: Why does Cloning in AE9 Suck???
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Mmh, proRes and Animation should cause no troubles at all, so I would think it's an ominous performance issue inside AE itself, taking us back to the hyperthreading stuff and your multiprocessing settings. Beyond the tips on my pages I can't help you, though. Adobe's Community Expert money truck sunk on the way from the states to continental Europe, leaving us poor souls without the money to buy MacPros.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Why does AE9 Suck???
                Mark Linthicum Level 1

I noticed the it keeps drawing some times after I release the mouse  so i get the clone drowing all over the image even though I cloned only a small area.

The program is acting like it is a beta version! How can Adobe accept this in a supposed professional  app???!!!

• 5. Re: Why does AE9 Suck???
                  Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                  The program is acting like it is a beta version! How can Adobe accept this in a supposed professional  app???!!!

Because it's not happening for most users. I just tried the same scenario, with an 1080 XDCAM HD footage item on a lesser MacBook Pro, and it was very smooth. Zero delay.

So what we need to figure out is what's causing it in your case. The most helpful thing would be if you could file a bug report here, describing the problem, what you're doing step by step and adding full details on your configuration (just to show how important this is, a recent UI slow-down problem on Windows machines was triggered by Wacom drivers - we could have spent a million years trying to find the problem in AE, and we wouldn't have found anything).

Some things that would be useful:

Computer model / CPU

OS version (for example, Mac OS 10.6.2)

Graphics card

RAM amount

Any other devices connected.

Is "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" turned on in Preferences > Multiprocessing?

Fast preview setting ("OpenGL - Interactive", "OpenGL - Always On", "Adaptive Resolution", etc).

Is "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer and footage panels" turned on in Display > Preferences.

Comp Settings

Footage information (size, format, codec).

Brush settings (Brush size, temporal offset, is "show overlay" turned on?)

• 6. Re: Why does AE9 Suck???
                    Mark Linthicum Level 1

I will submit a bug report,

I expect it the software as the problem is the same on My Imac and My MacPro.

You need to have the Time Source to -1, then start at the second frame and do about 6 clicks, cloning at  about the same location each frame, continue to the next 10 frames and AE chokes. Doing this AE needs to look back as far as the 1st frame cloning it to the 10th, this I expect couses it to choke because it is not caching the frames efficiently.
                    This is the same in AE version 8!
                    Mark