4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2008 11:42 PM by pvansch

Think I can do it (use Director)?

Dan_in_Texas
      I regularly use Frontpage/Expression to maintain web sites, but want to also edit and create .swf files for some CD-based training. I'm sure y'all look down on us lowly types who use FP and such, but my question is:

What's the skill level required for using Director? Can it be easily learned, or is the bar pretty high? Any WYSIWYG type panels, or do you have to code it all in by hand?

Thanks for you thoughts and feedback.

Dan
        • 1. Re: Think I can do it (use Director)?
          Level 7
          I doubt you can do it. That is because Director does not produce .swf
          files, not because of any doubts about your abilities. Adobe's Flash can
          make .swf files.

As far as Director goes, there is somewhat of a learning curve but it
          largely depends on how complex the application your are trying to build
          is. It comes with a fair amount of pre-built widgits and you can do some
          things without coding.

You will likely need to understand rudimentary programming structures
          like repeat loops, if-then-else statements, etc. My personal belief is
          that just about everybody is capable, it is simply a matter of having
          enough time and determination.

Others will surely chime in with some good advice, but my suggestion
          would be to download the trial version and give it a shot. Read through
          the tutorial and the introduction stuff that explains the basics. Then
          try to make something simple.

Good luck!

Dan_in_Texas wrote:
          > I regularly use Frontpage/Expression to maintain web sites, but want to also
          > edit and create .swf files for some CD-based training. I'm sure y'all look
          > down on us lowly types who use FP and such, but my question is:
          >
          > What's the skill level required for using Director? Can it be easily learned,
          > or is the bar pretty high? Any WYSIWYG type panels, or do you have to code it
          > all in by hand?
          >
          > Thanks for you thoughts and feedback.
          >
          > Dan
          >
          • 2. Re: Think I can do it (use Director)?
            Level 7
            I don't think that any skill you have in using FrontPage will translate
            into anything good or bad while attempting to use Director. The two
            things are somewhat unrelated.

I found Director to be very easy to learn. To do basic things, like
            putting text and graphics on the screen and dealing with user
            interactions, like rollovers, mouse click events, etc, it is all a
            matter of drag and dropping the prebuilt scripts onto your graphic
            elements. No programming required.

If you are interested in programming, and want to learn what it is all
            about, Director uses the language 'Lingo' which is very east to learn.
            It is more conversational than most other languages. The verbose syntax
            of Lingo can be read and understood quite readily once you know how the
            basic structures work.

And there is this great community here that is willing to help out if
            you have problems.
            • 3. Re: Think I can do it (use Director)?
              Level 7
              > I'm sure y'all look down on us lowly types who use FP and such
              He.. It's not us. Probably you have web scripters is mind, or Flash
              developers, that have the bad -according to my taste that is- habbit of
              building entire sites with it.
              Director is oriented more towards workstation application development or
              standalone web movies (shockwave 3D games etc.).

> What's the skill level required for using Director? Can it be easily
              > learned,
              > or is the bar pretty high?
              If you have some kind of previous programming experience, then you'll find
              director very easy to use. If you don't, and are interested in learning,
              it's
              probably one of the best tools to get you started - and keep you going... If
              on the other hand you are not really interested in coding, and all you want
              to do is 'clickable animations', then you'd better invest your time in
              flash.
              I'm not comparing the programs, and what advanced developers can do with
              them. Just that I found director very easy to use from the very beggining,
              several years ago. A feeling that I never got from flash, asp, c, or any
              other low or higher level language I've used.

"Dan_in_Texas" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:g2s3sv$6gl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I regularly use Frontpage/Expression to maintain web sites, but want to
              >also
              > edit and create .swf files for some CD-based training. I'm sure y'all
              > look
              > down on us lowly types who use FP and such, but my question is:
              >
              > What's the skill level required for using Director? Can it be easily
              > learned,
              > or is the bar pretty high? Any WYSIWYG type panels, or do you have to
              > code it
              > all in by hand?
              >
              > Thanks for you thoughts and feedback.
              >
              > Dan
              >

• 4. Re: Think I can do it (use Director)?
                pvansch
                quote:

Originally posted by: Dan_in_Texas
                >I regularly use Frontpage/Expression to maintain web sites, but want to also edit and create .swf files for some CD-based training.

By "swf" do you mean shockwave files or flash which actually have the 'swf' extension?

>but my question is:
                >What's the skill level required for using Director?
                Director luckily caters for a mixed skill levels. From designers
                who prefer to work with Directors GUI panels, drag & drop etc, to
                programmers who do almost everything in code or "Lingo" which is Directors
                language. Director now also supports programming in javascript.
                Once you have used Director you usually end up choosing the style
                of development that suits you.

>Can it be easily learned, or is the bar pretty high?
                Yes it can be easily learned. Like all development environments
                you can make quick and simple presentations, add a quicktime, some basic controls,
                or some graphics or audio. as your expectations increase so too does the level
                of difficulty, especially in a mixed platform environment.

>Any WYSIWYG type panels, or do you have to code it all in by hand?
                As I mentioned before you can choose to do both. Director uses a
                "Stage", "Cast Library" & "Score" as its metaphor for creating your content.
                The "Cast Library" is where you import all you elements.
                The "Stage" is where you can drag & drop elements from your library, and allows
                you to arrange the elemnts, scale, rotate, apply ink effects etc.
                And lastly the "Score" allows you to manage you elemnts on the "Stage" so that
                you can create animation etc.
                My description above is very simplified but if you download the Time Trial
                (which has temporarily been suspended) you can play around with the tutorials.

>Thanks for you thoughts and feedback.
                >Dan

Don't forget to search the web for some great resources.
                These are just a few
                http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
                http://director-online.com/articles.php
                http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/tips-script.html
                http://www.jmckell.com/
                http://www.director3d.de/
                http://www.dreamlight.com/insights/07/

Good luck and welcome to Director!