21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 2:11 AM by inspectorul

Transparent background

melissabennett83

Hello

I am trying to make a video on premiere elements with a transparent background - I am working with a green screen and can delete the background and insert any images etc behind, but I want to make the entire background transparent so that I can embed the video on a website and it will look like the presenter is walking across the screen.

Is this possible and does anyone know how to do it?

Thank you

Melissa.

• 1. Re: Transparent background
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You want to use Chroma Key or Videomerge.

Place your green screened video on Video 2 and the background on Video 1, directly below it. Then apply the Chroma Key or Videomerge effect to the clip on Video 2.

For what it's worth, I cover these effects, step-by-step, in my Premiere Elements books, available on Amazon.

• 2. Re: Transparent background
            melissabennett83 Level 1

Thanks for replying quickly.

I can do that - and insert an image etc behind it. But I don't want to put an image behind it.

Is it possible to leave the background empty and transparent so that when you embed it onto the front page of a website it looks like the presenter is infront of the screen?

Or do I have to create an overlay to the website and insert that image behind the presenter?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Transparent background
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Melissa,

You will also want to Export as an FLV to get your Transparency or if using another format, that allows for an Alpha Channel, with Millions + of Colors. That little + sign is important, as it signifies the Alpha Channel. Note: not all Export formats will allow Alpha Channel, and also the exact player on your Web site, might well dictate exactly what Export format you will need. As the player is the dominating element, if you did not embed it yourself, you will likely want to contact the Webmaster/designer for the full specs. required.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Transparent background
                melissabennett83 Level 1

When I click Export>movie it just says save/rendering. there are no options with a +

We have a devloper helping so I only need to work out how to make it transparent.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Transparent background
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Then the developer can give you the full, necessary specs. for the Export. Nice to have them handy, and not 1000 miles away, getting back to you via e-mail. Make 'em earn their keep!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Transparent background
                    melissabennett83 Level 1

I don't think I can actually save a premiere video file as transparent then can I? I can ONLY insert an image or video in the background.

• 7. Re: Transparent background
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

By Exporting as FLV, you should be able to get the Transparency. I've not done this directly from PrE, so there could be some limitation. Many in PrPro do this, and some use an FLV encoder F4V, but I have not used it, so cannot comment.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Transparent background

I wonder how useful it would be to export as an FLV, Hunt. You can't use FLVs as source files in very many programs.

And, other than FLVs, I don't believe Premiere Elements has an output option that saves alpha.

In fact, it sounds like what you're trying to do is create an animated GIF with an alpha channel. That's, unfortunately, beyond the scope of Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements.

• 9. Re: Transparent background
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

You could be correct about PrE not having this capability. Here's a look at the Adobe Media Encoder from PrPro 2.0, with the necessary settings for a transparent FLV. The FLV file can be linked to a player, embedded in the Web page, or packaged in Flash as an SWF with its own player embedded in the file. This is how "sprites" are placed on Web pages commonly.

FLV_Alpha_Export.jpg

I'll poke around PrE 4 (my only version) and see what I can locate there.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Transparent background
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

It appears that you are correct. There is no setting for including the Alpha (that I can find) in PrE 4. Even with the same CODEC, that option is just not there.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Transparent background
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, HERE is a listing of external FLV utilities, and some do support Alpha Transparency. Be sure to scroll past all the danged ads.

I use some of the Moyea FLV products, and have been impressed with those. Were this my Project, I'd start at their site, just based on my personal previous experiences, and then work to other suppliers.

Hope that this helps the OP,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Transparent background
                                melissabennett83 Level 1

Thanks for all your comments and help guys.

We want to create something like this:

http://rocc.com/ROCC/index.html

on our website - with a presenter talking and looking like shes just standing on the site.

Thanks

• 13. Re: Transparent background

That is an SWF/Flash file, created in Adobe Flash. You won't be able to do anything quite like it in any other program.

• 14. Re: Transparent background
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

That is called a "sprite." PrPro allows one to output the FLV file, and Flash, or another program (Moyea?) will allow you to package the video for the Web site. As Steve pointed out to me, PrE does not have the capability to Export FLV with Transparency, as PrPro does. What you'll likely want is an SWF file. Nearly every Web browser out there has Flash capabilities.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Transparent background
                                      melissabennett83 Level 1

I have now got my hands on Adobe Premiere Pro Version CS3, is it possible to save as a transparent background on this software?

Thanks

• 16. Re: Transparent background
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. In CS3, Choose File>Export>Adobe Media Encoder, and choose Flash FLV and set your bit-rate. There, choose Options. On the dialog screen, check Encode Alpha Channel.

This set of screens will show where everything is:

FLV_Alpha_Channel.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Transparent background
                                          melissabennett83 Level 1

Thanks Bill,

We are thinking of buying CS4 this arvo, I need to get these videos done for Friday - so running a bit tight.

Would I do exactly the same on CS4 as CS3? Thanks for your help!

Melissa

• 18. Re: Transparent background
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

There is a difference between CS3 & CS4, with regards to Adobe Media Encoder, AME, in that it is the only Export option in CS4, where there were others in CS3. Now, this does not mean that CS4 is limited in any way, but that everything now goes through AME, which is a stand-alone program, though launched from within PrPro in this case. You will get very similar screens, to what I showed. The new step in CS4 is that you load up the Queue in AME with your Sequences, and then in AME Export the Queue. This means that you can load more than one Sequence into AME, unlike the one Sequence at a time in CS2 & CS3. That is the only real change, other than more Export options in CS4.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Transparent background
                                              melissabennett83 Level 1

Would it be possible to achieve this by editing in elements, then saving as an flv file and converting to a swf file

afterwards? Or would this not work? I am struggling with CS4 and it seems completely different to edit in.

Thanks

• 20. Re: Transparent background
                                                inspectorul

Adrian,Romania

Again , I need help.I have two machines.  Desktop: Mainboared Intel ,

Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4GHz,3GB Ram,  NVidia 8800 GT,  2x500 Gb (Raid 0) Hard

drives.Adobe Premiere Elements7 ( I have PRE3 & PHOTO E 5) and SonyVegas8

Platinum My question is : I want buy  Windows 7 Professsional , and I want

to know HOW WORK Pre 7 & Photoshop Elements 3( virtual XP) with this

operation system. How I can increas the performance for editing video and

DVD creation.This machine is only for this .

Another machine is a Sony Vaio laptop.( AR-71) Intel Core 2 Duo 2,5

GHz, 4 GB ,NVidia, 2 x 500 Gb (Raid 0).  With softwares includes PRE 4 &

PHOTO 6,   I can't do much more.Video export to Blu-ray writer from Pre 7

DON'T Work

(diverse errors apears after rendering export) .I install PRE7 & Sony Vegas8

Platinum.The question is : I want install Windows 7 on this laptop.W 7 WORK

with this machine ? I resolve the problems( Export direct from PRE 7

project) with W7?

When the problems ocures with Vista and the softwares pre-installeded I try

to resolve with Adobe Support and Sony Vaio assistence.Sony Vaio link me

with Adobe page about my problems.I do what Adobe page(s) say,but nothing

happening.

What Windows 7 work Good with my computers : 32 or 64 ?!

Thanks for all.  Adrian ( Inspectorul from Forum)

2010/1/4 Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com>

>

There is a difference between CS3 & CS4, with regards to Adobe Media

Encoder, AME, in that it is the only Export option in CS4, where there were

others in CS3. Now, this does not mean that CS4 is limited in any way, but

that everything now goes through AME, which is a stand-alone program, though

launched from within PrPro in this case. You will get very similar screens,

to what I showed. The new step in CS4 is that you load up the Queue in AME

with your Sequences, and then in AME Export the Queue. This means that you

can load more than one Sequence into AME, unlike the one Sequence at a time

in CS2 & CS3. That is the only real change, other than more Export options

in CS4.

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>

• 21. Re: Transparent background
                                                  inspectorul Level 1

2010/1/5 adrian ionescu <adrianionescu1@gmail.com>

Adrian,Romania

>

Again , I need help.I have two machines.  Desktop: Mainboared Intel ,

Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4GHz,3GB Ram,  NVidia 8800 GT,  2x500 Gb (Raid 0) Hard

drives.Adobe Premiere Elements7 ( I have PRE3 & PHOTO E 5) and SonyVegas8

Platinum My question is : I want buy  Windows 7 Professsional , and I want

to know HOW WORK Pre 7 & Photoshop Elements 3( virtual XP) with this

operation system. How I can increas the performance for editing video and

DVD creation.This machine is only for this .

>

Another machine is a Sony Vaio laptop.( AR-71) Intel Core 2 Duo 2,5

GHz, 4 GB ,NVidia, 2 x 500 Gb (Raid 0).  With softwares includes PRE 4 &

PHOTO 6,   I can't do much more.Video export to Blu-ray writer from Pre 7

DON'T Work

(diverse errors apears after rendering export) .I install PRE7 & Sony

Vegas8 Platinum.The question is : I want install Windows 7 on this laptop.W

7 WORK with this machine ? I resolve the problems( Export direct from PRE 7

project) with W7?

When the problems ocures with Vista and the softwares pre-installeded I

try to resolve with Adobe Support and Sony Vaio assistence.Sony Vaio link me

with Adobe page about my problems.I do what Adobe page(s) say,but nothing

happening.

>

What Windows 7 work Good with my computers : 32 or 64 ?!

>

Thanks for all.  Adrian ( Inspectorul from Forum)

>

2010/1/4 Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com>

>

>

>> There is a difference between CS3 & CS4, with regards to Adobe Media

>> Encoder, AME, in that it is the only Export option in CS4, where there were

>> others in CS3. Now, this does not mean that CS4 is limited in any way, but

>> that everything now goes through AME, which is a stand-alone program, though

>> launched from within PrPro in this case. You will get very similar screens,

>> to what I showed. The new step in CS4 is that you load up the Queue in AME

>> with your Sequences, and then in AME Export the Queue. This means that you

>> can load more than one Sequence into AME, unlike the one Sequence at a time

>> in CS2 & CS3. That is the only real change, other than more Export options

>> in CS4.

>>

>> Good luck,

>>

>> Hunt

>>