7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 11:03 AM by Jim_Simon

Undoing "Replace with AE Comp"

wastedthelight

Hi, is it possible to undo the "replace with after effects composition"? Or am I out of luck once I save it?  I selected a big section of my video and did this so I could color correct and other things with After Effects.  I now need to make some adjustments and I'm forced to do them in AE which won't work since I have to move things around and need them in the Premiere timeline.

Using CS4 if it matters.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Undoing "Replace with AE Comp"
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I have not found a way to Undo this myself.

• 2. Re: Undoing "Replace with AE Comp"
            wastedthelight Level 1

Very depressing. So much work to redo now.  Should I go about it a different way? Is there a different way?  I shot a music video but put the entire chorus shots into a AE comp.  Funny thing is, the Chorus was the worst part to build as the verses have a story and is simple to piece together, haha.

• 3. Re: Undoing "Replace with AE Comp"
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I haven't really investigated this seriously only because so far it's been single clips for me, very easy to just replace in the sequence.  So I just don't know if there's a better way in a situation like yours.

• 4. Re: Undoing "Replace with AE Comp"
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Export your After Effects project as a Premiere Pro project, and then open that up in PPro, or import it into your original project. You'll have to do a little bit of reworking, but most things should come through just fine. The biggest mess is due to the way that AE comps and PPro sequences differ--in AE, each footage item is on its own layer, whereas in PPro, multiple clip items can exist on one track. It should save you recutting the entire thing.

I've made it general practice to immediately undo a "Replace with AE Comp" command--you get the benefit of everything being sent to AE and put in the proper order, but you can also retain your original edit in PPro. You simply import your comp into PPro via Dynamic Link once you're done "effecting", and plop it on a track above your edited clips. Gives you the best of both worlds.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Undoing "Replace with AE Comp"
                  wastedthelight Level 1

Thanks Colin, I'll give it a-go soon.

• 6. Re: Undoing "Replace with AE Comp"
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

You're welcome! You might also try copying and pasting from AE to PPro, as the instructions here suggest:

Copy from After Effects to Adobe Premiere Pro

You can copy a layer based on a footage item from an After Effects composition and paste it into an Adobe Premiere Pro sequence. Adobe Premiere Pro converts these layers to clips in the sequence and copies the source footage item to its Project panel. If the layer contains an effect that is also used by Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro converts the effect and all of its settings and keyframes.

You can also copy nested compositions, Photoshop layers, solid-color layers, and audio layers. Adobe Premiere Pro converts nested compositions to nested sequences, and solid-color layers to color mattes. You cannot copy shape, text, camera, light, or adjustment layers to Adobe Premiere Pro.

1. Start Adobe Premiere Pro (you must start Adobe Premiere Pro before you copy the layer in After Effects).
                    2. Select a layer (or layers) from the After Effects Timeline panel.
                      Note:  If you select multiple layers and the layers don’t overlap in After Effects, they’re placed on the same track in Adobe Premiere Pro. On the other hand, if the layers overlap in After Effects, the order in which you select them determines the order of their track placement in Adobe Premiere Pro. Each layer is placed on a separate track, and the last selected layer appears on Track 1. For example, if you select layers from top to bottom, the layers appear in the reverse order in Adobe Premiere Pro, with the bottom-most layer on Track 1.
                    3. Choose Edit > Copy.
                    4. In Adobe Premiere Pro, open a sequence in the Timeline panel.
                    5. Move the current-time indicator to the desired location, and choose either Edit > Paste or Edit > Paste Insert.

It might even do better then the export/import dance...

• 7. Re: Undoing "Replace with AE Comp"
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Nice tip on the Undo and then Import, Colin.