5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 1:13 PM by kglad

Multilevel buttons

Avian Rand

Very new at Flash.

Using CS4.

I've managed to create some flash navigation buttons that are working just fine. Six buttons that fly in from the side and have "over" and "hit" properties all set up. But it's just a single level menu. I'd like to alter it so that when you hold the pointer over a button for 1/2 second or so (or if you click on it) a sub menu unrolls. I'm sure it's quite a bit more involved than the simple series of buttons I have so far but I can't find anything online that explains how to do this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA.

• 1. Re: Multilevel buttons
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

there's a component in flash (the accordian) that makes this easy.  and/or, you can use google to search for:

flash as2 accordian menu tutorial

• 2. Re: Multilevel buttons
            Avian Rand Level 1

Okay, that's cool but not what I'm looking for (unless it does something that I don't see in various tutorials).

I have 6 buttons arranged vertically. I want to click (or rollover) one of them and have a vertical submenu show up to the right of the one that I've clicked. I want that submenu to unroll like a window shade where the first button shows then the 2nd, 3rd, etc until all the submenu buttons are showing. I don't want the submenu buttons between the main menu buttons like the accordion does. I want them off to the side and I want the main menu buttons to stay just where they are and not move around at all.

I don't like buttons that slide around and change size on the user because it can be frustrating to know where to click to get what you want. I have a friend that has a photo website and it's got one of those thumbnail bars at the bottom where when you mouse over one of them it expands and the other ones slide out of the way to make room and it's all pretty cool but very very annoying to actually use.

• 3. Re: Multilevel buttons

check for a custom accordian tutorial

• 4. Re: Multilevel buttons
                Avian Rand Level 1

This is the idea: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/index.jsx. But the main menu needs to be vertical, not horizontal. Also, the main buttons I have cannot be inside of some other container (AFAIK) because they fly in from the left from different angles when the page loads.

This is an aspx.net development tool but the sample gives somewhat the idea I'm trying to convey: http://demos.devexpress.com/ASPxperienceDemos/Menu/DataBinding.aspx. The only difference is that I want the first submenu button to just appear to the right of it's parent button and then I can make the ones below it "unroll" from there. I can animate all of that. It's just a matter of how do I tie the action of rolling over the main button to showing its submenu. I'm wondering if some of this has to be done with different scenes. I'm just not sure where to start. I have a feeling the accordion idea is not going to solve this for me.

• 5. Re: Multilevel buttons

that's a dropdown menu.  if you find that easier to understand you can look up a dropdown tutorial and adjust the code for a vertical menu with the menu opening to the right.