13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 5:47 PM by the_wine_snob

Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll

Timpson13 Level 1

I'm working in adobe PP CS4.  And I would like to do a Title Roll that moves from bottom to top.  I have alot of text with Headlines and then a couple of paragraghs of text and then another headline and then text and so in.

All I want to do is have the Headlines centered and the text be left justified.

But, everytime I select the headline and go to center it, all of my text centers that is written in the text box.

thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It can't easily be done with the built-in titler.  Create the title in Photoshop and then use the Motion effect to simulate a roll.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Try doing two Text Blocks. Drag the Text Tool to create the Headline, and Justify it, as required. Drag another Text Block for the body copy, and Justify it as required.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I use Jim's suggestion for most Titles, and then Keyframe my Effect>Motion>Position

• 4. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at multiple Text Justification with individual Text Blocks (Paragraph Text):

Titler_Text_Blocks_01.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the titler set everything to the left and add some spaces to the beginning of the headline to get it in the middle.centered.png

• 6. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
                  Timpson13 Level 1

Thanks, all of these are good ideas.  Thank You

• 7. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
                    shooternz Level 6

There are also Centre and Align Tools (icons) in the Titler

• 8. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

Those will work on the Text Block, or Blocks if more than one is Selected, but I do not see where they would help in this instance. However, you teach me some neat tricks all the time, and I am poised to learn.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
                        shooternz Level 6

Hi Bill

My suggestion was to use the align or page centering tools in conjunction with mutiple text blocks.

I would add now... that I would use a Text tool and  not a text block for a Headline.

• 10. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, makes a bit more sense - the Center Align, that is.

Why not just do two Text Blocks. I could see it working either way, but just wonder about your comment on doing the Text Tool and then the Paragraph Text for the body copy.

Again, I normally do the bulk of my Titles first in Word (Spellcheck), and then Illustrator for real Kerning, etc., and then to Photoshop for final output to .PSD. If I wish to animate, say a single line, or block of text, independent of the rest, I'll have it on a separate Layer, and Import as a Sequence to do the Keyframing. I only use Tilter for quick and dirty stuff, so I do not have any favorite ways of dealing with different Justifications. I just do these separately, either your way, or my way, and go with it from there.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
                            shooternz Level 6

In fact I would use the Text Tool for both unless I was copying and pasting in a large block of text from a word doc say.

Reason is the relatively un constrained arbitrary size of a Text Box.

Luckily its not often that amount of text appears in a television commercial.

Bill, I am aware you prefer to create a title in PS.

Do you take a screen grab from the timeline in as a layer so that you can set your design in/around/over  it?

I would find this fairly tedious and time consuming within my particular workflow.  Considering I have an art director / client at my side usually when placing graphics on a frame.  Rarely  do they stay in the one place and they are constantly being shifted, altered, kerned, changed, dumped etc...and often returned to the original  by the time we push the job out to air.

We do use PS for LOGO work of course.

• 12. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Do you take a screen grab from the timeline in as a layer so that you can set your design in/around/over  it?

Yes, very often, if I have Text-over. As many of my Titles do Roll over a still frame (basically simulating a "held frame" from the end of the movie), I use this as a "temp" Layer in PS, to make sure that my text stands out perfectly. In some cases, I'll animate essentially a Hue Saturation to the still frame, so that my text pops.

When done, I just delete my guide image.

Good point, and thank you for bringing it up. Too often, people just do a Title and do not consider what might be appearing below that Title, until they go to Export and suddenly realize that the yellow in the type blends in with the yellow in the field of wild flowers - ouch!

Hunt

• 13. Re: Centering Just the headline of a Title Roll
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I would find this fairly tedious and time consuming within my particular workflow.  Considering I have an art director / client at my side usually when placing graphics on a frame.  Rarely  do they stay in the one place and they are constantly being shifted, altered, kerned, changed, dumped etc...and often returned to the original  by the time we push the job out to air.

That is when I use my #1 ruse - "hey, what's that under your chair? Man, looks like a giant scorpion! Those things are deadly. Oh, wait, there it goes over there. Do you feel any tingling of your extremities? Should I call 911? Wait, here it comes again! Run, run, run!"

While they scamper about, I just go to PS, do my work, and by the time they come back, the Title is in the Project.

No, for me, there is never that kind of pressure. Were there, I'd open PS and dazzle them with my power, and tell them how much PS, AI, AE and the rest cost, and how I've held my prices for years. Shoot, tell them that this is how Spielberg does it. I've actually had clients, who wanted the full dog-n-pony show, even when we could do the job without digging deeply into the bag-o-tricks. I had a beautifully lit pump room once. It was new, clean and had some neat paint schemes. The existing lighting wrapped around the pipes wonderfully. I could not have lit it any better in the studio. However, the AD wanted to show the client all the equipment that I had, so had to unload, set up and tear down about 1800 #'s of gear, just for the show. What ended up happening was that when the final Polaroid was approved, the AD and client left to get lunch. I turned off all of my stuff, and shot it with the existing lighting. When we looked at the images back at the studio, the AD commented, "aren't you glad that I made you re-light everything?" "Yes - good idea."

Sometimes it's all in the show, so long as the final meets, or exceeds all expectations.

Good luck,

Hunt