2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 12:20 PM by iBabs2

Threshold option not available in Live Trace??

iBabs2 Level 1

Hello,

OK..I have never seen this before.. I have a black and white .tif or .psd that I bring into illustrator to live trace, and I use the black and white setting, and then go to the preferences and I always play with the threshold. For some reason, this one file doesn't let me access the threshold value. It is grayed out. I am using the same black and white option that I always do, and yet, I cannot access the threshold to change it.

Has anyone ever seen this before...oh, and I am on CS3

thanks!

babs

• 1. Re: Threshold option not available in Live Trace??
          Scott Falkner Level 5

You say it’s a black and white image, but you don’t say the bit depth. But if Threshold is unavailable the image is probably one-bit. Threshold is used to tell Illustrator where to draw the line between white and black. If an image is one but, it s already either white or black with no grey values, so Threshold is meaningless.

• 2. Re: Threshold option not available in Live Trace??
            iBabs2 Level 1

HI Scott,

Actually, it was a bitmap image in Photoshop...I hadn't noticed that. Once I set it to grayscale and placed it into Illustrator, i was able to use the Threshold option in live trace..

The threshold is weird, sometimes like you said, I get nothing, no change, but other times, I do get just a slight shift that works for me..I know it's minimal, but it is just what I needed.

Thanks for putting me in the right direction.

babs