5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 7:26 PM by Jim_Simon

    Timing opinions please...

    tclark513 Level 3

      Hello,

       

      I'm thinking about putting a system together around the i7 chip but do you think waiting for CS5 might be a better way to go?

      I'm curious what people's opinions are on i7 chips still being the way to go next year or do you think something better will be worth the wait?

       

      With the news of the new playback engine and Adobe saying that more cores the better I wanted to throw this out there to see what people think.

       

      Thanks!

        • 1. Re: Timing opinions please...
          Jim_Simon Level 9

          The i7 series ROCKS!  I'd have no hesitation in recommending them for editing.

           

          My only hesitation in buying one now would be that the new 6 core Gulftowns are due out Q1 of next year.

          • 2. Re: Timing opinions please...
            Harm Millaard Level 7

            The golden rule of computing applies:

             

            If you want leading edge technology you pay dearly.

             

            The i9 Gulftown is around 40-50% faster than an i7 at the same clock speed, runs cooler and uses much less energy, but costs around $ 1 K. Compare that to the i7-920 after introduction of the i9, overclocked to 3.6-4.0 GHz for around $ 200 or less. Even now you can find them for slightly over $ 200. So have a look at your budget. If money is no object, get an i7 now and exchange it for an i9 when available.

             

            I agree with Jim that the i7 is great. If you consider that his system is more than two times slower than my system on the PPBM score, I can only confirm that the i7 rocks. But also a warning. If the speed advantage of the i9 over an i7 is around 50% for approximately 5 times the price, then I think it is more economical to really fine tune your system, since I have more than twice the performance of Jim, just because of fine tuning.

            • 3. Re: Timing opinions please...
              Jim_Simon Level 9

              I've seen some preliminary benchmarks of the new CPU, but have not heard a word on pricing.  Where'd you get your info, Harm?

              • 4. Re: Timing opinions please...
                Harm Millaard Level 7

                The first benchmarks I saw were last week and these were pulled at Microsoft's request, on a Polish site with an engineering sample. Xbitlabs also had some info but very limited. Various sites make mention of prices around the $ 1 K mark. The Polish site I looked at, Tweakers.net and some others.

                • 5. Re: Timing opinions please...
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

                  Various sites make mention of prices around the $ 1 K mark.

                   

                  They all seem to be pure speculation, though.  I can't find any official word form Intel.