6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2010 7:53 PM by Shadreck Rukweza

Blackmagic Intensity Dropping Frames Continuosly in CS4.

Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

I recently purchased a blackmagic Intensity Pro video card for monitoring my edits in Premiere Pro CS4. But I have just suffered a major drawback because everytime I apply an effect, time remapping, overlaying video, colour correction, newblue transition etc, blackmagic will drop frames continuosly and my edit becomes tedious or I will have to drag the CTI or render that particular work area to get some motion results. This is DV PAL 16:9 footage being edited.

I downloaded new drives from Blackmagic website. What could be the problem here. Is it the Intensity Pro video card which is just a waste of space or something else with CS4 or my PC.

please help!

SPECS

Vista 64

HP XW6600 Quad Xeon 5420 2.5Ghz

8GB RAM

Geforce GTX 260

RAID 1 for storage and video files

250GB C drive

750 gb D drive

Production Premium CS4

Blackmagic intensity Pro

2 X LG Flatron w2261VP 22" monitors

• 1. Re: Blackmagic Intensity Dropping Frames Continuosly in CS4.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

DV monitoring can be done for free using Firewire and your camera. BM is really more for HD.

• 2. Re: Blackmagic Intensity Dropping Frames Continuosly in CS4.
            Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

The reply is insufficient.... You have posted so many replies that it is inappropriate to give a one straight line insufficient answer. Blackmagic states that this card is for DV and HD monitoring. All I need to know is why there are so many dropped frames detected.

I am looking for help here...

How do you set up this? I meaning hooking up the cameras and the monitors? I do not want to monitor in a tiny LCD of my camera, or having my desk untidy with all the bits and bobs and the cables. Tell me how do you chain this for free as you suggested. I have got a canon XH A1 camcorder.

• 3. Re: Blackmagic Intensity Dropping Frames Continuosly in CS4.
              Jim_Simon Level 8

All I need to know is why there are so many dropped frames detected.

I don't know that.  In the absence of a direct solution, I have provided an alternative method to achieve the desired goal.  Firewire->camera->TV

• 4. Re: Blackmagic Intensity Dropping Frames Continuosly in CS4.
                Qthink

Try to use enable write caching on the disk, right click on the drives, click properties, click hardware and click properties.

If you use vista 64 there is another option below it, give mark on the box.

use this for system drive and  drive that you use for data (video file) or scratch disk.

My friend and i tried this and there is no dropping frame.

Good Luck.

• 5. Re: Blackmagic Intensity Dropping Frames Continuosly in CS4.
                  Justin Pamenter

Hi,

We have exactly the same problem.

We have two Dell Precision T5400 Workstations running WXP 32bit and CS4PP. We purchased two BlackMagic Intensity Pro I/O cards so we could have output to our Panasonic Broadcast monitors (through Component) for Colour Correction purposes. We found out in the fine print on the BlackMagic website that Dell systems are not supported (and we'd thought we'd done our research thoroughly!).

I have tried every BlackMagic/Premiere Pro driver/update combination without success. There are two other production houses in our area that have exactly the same problem. Very little support from BlackMagic too when asked.

On the flip side, we have another two BlackMagic Intensity Pro cards in two Mac Pros with Final Cut Pro and they work great, no problems.

So unfortunetly we are now ditching the Intensity Pro's on our Dells, as we cannot afford any more down time, and replacing them with the Matrox MXO Mini that has been tested successfully with CS4PP and our Precisions.

Hope this helps.

J

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Blackmagic Intensity Dropping Frames Continuosly in CS4.
                    Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

When I contact Blackmagic Support this what they said...

"It sounds as if your computer is not capable of handling this in real time.
                    If you were to render the sequence, that issue should go away. Real time is
                    dependant on the computer and the composition. Our card has nothing to do
                    with offloading any processing and only handles the signal to the external
                    monitor when given by the application. The application must turn the signal
                    back into an Uncompressed signal else your external monitor will not be able
                    to display it. That's why working with an external preview card can stress
                    the system more.

Are all your scratch disks set properly for Premiere? Is everything up to
                    date? Drivers? Chipset drivers? Premiere to 4.2? And you may want to try it
                    on a non RAID 1 drive and see if that helps as RAID 0 is better for greater
                    speed but no redundancy.
                    "