2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 4:13 PM by the_wine_snob

Just Bought AG-HMC40P

envisionfreedom

O.k.  So I might be a little nuts over here but I am very passionate about video recording and of course editing.  So I figured, why not go out and buy the AG-HMC40P.  Now that I have done this, what are the recommended settings for this cam before shooting (videos are all for youtube, internet marketing) and also how would you recommend setting up the project settings with adobe premiere 7.  Thanks...

• 1. Re: Just Bought AG-HMC40P
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This appears to be an AVCHD camcorder, so that's the project preset to use.

But, as you probably know if you've been following these forums, the biggest liability to AVCHD is that it takes a very hefty computer to work with it. Usually a quad core processor with at least 4 gigabytes of RAM and many gigabytes of hard drive space.

So I'd recommend test driving it before I invested too much time into trying to edit a major project in Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: Just Bought AG-HMC40P
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, it offers HD in AVCHD w/ DD (stereo) AC3. I'd choose the appropriate Frame Size for your needs.

For a Project Preset, you should go with that Frame Size and the AVCHD Preset. The Audio should not be an issue, as you do not have DD 5.1 SS to deal with.

Note that one needs a very robust computer to edit AVCHD fluidly. Many recommend a Core2 Quad as the absolute minimum w/ at least 4 GB of RAM. Others suggest that dual Quads are about as low as they'd go, and recs (64-bit OS) run up to about 12 GB RAM. I'd also make sure that I had a good I/O sub-system, i.e. HDD's with a minimum of 3x SATA II's internally. AVCHD, unlike other CODEC's is more CPU-intensive, than I/O-intensive, but I feel that a 3x SATA II is the absolute min. for editing Video. A 5x SATA II setup would be better yet.

Good luck. Seems to be a great camera with really good specs.

Enjoy,

Hunt