2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 5:26 PM by bickus2

Bizarre Problem - Documents Unreadable

bickus2 Level 1

I have Adobe Reader 9.2 installed in a Windows XP system.

Some PDF files appear as unreadable ascii characters.  If a portion of the unreadable text is copied and pasted to NotePad or Word it is appears perfectly readable.  If Adobe Reader is asked to "Read Out Loud" the garbage text, it functions correctly and the unreadable text is read in perfect english.  If the unreadable file is forwarded to another computer without this problem, the text comes out legible.  I have reinstalled Adobe Reader twice with no change in this behavior.

This must be a font problem, but I have no idea how to fix it.

As as example, I have appended a pdf file found on the net "agenda.pdf" and the file as I see it with Adobe Reader "agenda.gif"

I would sincerely appreciate any help.  This problem is driving me nuts!

• 1. Re: Bizarre Problem - Documents Unreadable
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like none of the font information is embedded properly. When that happens, Reader will choose a font to use as a substitute (in this case, probably a symbol font or similar). If you have the exact same font on your system, normally it will choose that one. In this case, it's not doing that.

There is nothing you can do on your end using only the Reader. To fix it you would need to have the proper font on your system, the original document the PDF was created from and Acrobat to create a new PDF.

Read out loud and notepad recognize the text for what it is and is picking out a readable font.

• 2. Re: Bizarre Problem - Documents Unreadable
            bickus2 Level 1

Thank you for your help.  I installed all of the fonts mentioned in the pdf document, and the problem seems to be resolved.