4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 5:32 PM by the_wine_snob

Elements 7 - Memory Errors

davalle

I am using Premiere Elements 7, and have created numerous files.

One file opens fine, and I can burn to a DVD.

When I open the other files, an error appears "Adobe Premiere Elements is running very low on system memory.  Please save your project and continue working with caution."

I can try to continue working, and sometimes it will freeze, and say the program has serious errors, needs to shut down, etc.  Other times I can continue working up until burning stage, and at the last minute of burning, it will come up with an error saying "memory allocation error".

I can't get these files to burn to a DVD.  I have tried numerous times.

Can anyone please help!!  I have all this footage of my daughter I would like to get into a DVD.  I have a new PC, with 4GB RAM, make sure my computer is freshly rebooted, and don't have any other applications running.

• 1. Re: Elements 7 - Memory Errors
          the_wine_snob Level 9

"System Memory" is a combo of RAM and Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). Something(s) is/are stealing your resources.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on getting rid of unnecessary resource hogs, for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Elements 7 - Memory Errors
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When a program hangs, crashes, pre-maturely closes, etc., there is often something going on behind the scenes. Usually, there is a breadcrumb trail on what is happening.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on how to gather clues as to what is happening, when things are messing up around your program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Elements 7 - Memory Errors
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Though written for PrPro (PrE's big brother), the tips in the linked PrPro-Wiki have many universals to help with issues regarding an NLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Elements 7 - Memory Errors
                the_wine_snob Level 9

One last comment, Memory Allocation can signal that there is some program, or Process that is mis-reporting its memory usage (either RAM, or Page File), or that it is not releasing it, when Windows thinks that it has.

It could also signal that there is a physical problem with, say a RAM chip. There are several freeware RAM testing utilities. I'd Google for those, and run one, just in case. I have not used one in decades, so have no direct experiences to help choose one from the others.

Good luck,

Hunt