1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 5:13 AM by robdillon

Matching game w/ non-identical sprites

yankeeschick

Hi all,

First, a disclaimer: I'm a beginner with Director - I apologize in advance if these questions are stupid....

I am attempting to create a "concentration" - type matching game where users will match non-identical items.

I found a great tutorial that explained to how create a matching game where the user is matching identical pairs of items (http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?page=2&cid=A5FEE868A7385E7A) and was able to figure that one out with no problem - I was able to create a simple game with 3 pairs of cards and it works great (a bat and a bat, a glove and a glove, etc). What I really want to do, though, is have the users match non-identical pairs  (i.e. "new york" and "yankees", "kansas city" and "royals", etc etc).

Can anyone point me in the direction of a script that would help me with this? Is it as simple as making some changes to the scripts I used in the matching game linked above, or do I need something totally new?

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Matching game w/ non-identical sprites
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

The example that you cite uses the sprite's member for comparison. To do something similar using different members for comparison you will need to create something that will bring equality to the two different members. You can use the member's name. You could create a naming convention for each pair of members: "new york 1", "yankees 1", "kansas city 2", "royales 2", etc. and then parse out the last character of the member's name for comparison. Another method would be to create two lists, One for the city, and another for the team. Then test the position of the city member's name against the position of the team member's name in each list.

1 person found this helpful