5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 10:55 AM by HarryPutnam

Transform tool is stuck on rotation

HarryPutnam Level 1

I use the transform tool (the tool accessable from Ctrl-t keyboard combo) a lot but suddenly I'm unable to move the tranform area around with keyboard.  It seems to be stuck on the rotation aspect of transform with the double arrow rocker showing for cursor.

I've apparently hit some switch or something that has disabled a good bit of the functionality of transform tool

Any one have an  idea what has happened here?  I don't see any obvious adjustments or clicking type things involving the transform tool.

• 1. Re: Transform tool is stuck on rotation
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

You mean free transform for masks, right?

The rotation cursor should change to a resize cursor when you hover over any of the control points in the bounding box, and to a move cursor when you are inside the bounding box. In some cases, when control points are too close, you may need to zoom really close to trigger the cursor change.

• 2. Re: Transform tool is stuck on rotation
            HarryPutnam Level 1

Adolfo Rozenfeld wrote:

You mean free transform for masks, right?

The rotation cursor should change to a resize cursor when you hover over any of the control points in the bounding box, and to a move cursor when you are inside the bounding box. In some cases, when control points are too close, you may need to zoom really close to trigger the cursor change.

Yes, free transform. and I know how it s supposed to work  double arrow cursor at corners or mid sides and rotation curors when hovered off a corner.

Also you can nudge it around with arrow keys or shift arrow

What I'm saying is, I've lost all but the rotation cursor. The rocker with arrow on either end.   That is all I get... no shrink expand style curor and no nudge with arrow keys.

The free transform box  appears to be about 1.5 inch by 1 in,  But them I am at pretty nigh zoom levels,  all I can do is rotate... nothing else.

It happened during the course of using it every few seconds... somewhere between one usage and the next it sudden lost 3/4 of functionality.

I wondered if I am steadily requiring more ram as the rotoscope progresses.  And that's why the free transform seems impaired    But its only one layer and maybe 70-80 keyframes so far.  The whole clip is only 2.7 seconds.  But I am at some pretty high zoom for most of it.

It will probably be antoher one of those thihngs that happen that I never discover why but it disappears on  reboot.  I thought I'd ask in case its something I've in advertantly set that is causing it.

• 3. Re: Transform tool is stuck on rotation
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not that I know of... The behavior is dependent on the zoom level, yes, but it getting stuck sounds odd. I could only imagine OpenGL being at play here in some way. The only thing I could imagine would be something weird with your vertex selection that doesn't make sense to AE, but normally it should handle things like multiple masks selected just fine as well.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Transform tool is stuck on rotation
                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

I think I have seen once or twice that behavior. Probably a glitch. I don't think you're doing anything to make it happen.

• 5. Re: Transform tool is stuck on rotation
                  HarryPutnam Level 1

Adolfo Rozenfeld wrote:

I think I have seen once or twice that behavior. Probably a glitch. I don't think you're doing anything to make it happen.

Well at least thats good to know.  Thanks