8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 2:19 PM by kirbyjb

Numerous crashes of PE8

gloftis55 Level 1

I have had at least 10 crashes of PE8 in the last 3 days. I've seen on previous versions where the program just freezes up, but this is totally different. The program shuts down immediately. It happens  at different times, previewing a clip in the organizer, making a title slide, adding a transition, moving a clip down on the timeline. I've never experienced this problem before. One minute I working in the program , the next second I'm looking at the desktop.I'm running a i7 920 processor with 4 gb of ram, the program is on a 300 gb, 10,000 rpm HD, video card is a ATI Radeon HD 4800 series. I have updated to the latest drivers on the video card and have checked Windows Update and I have the latest updates. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Numerous crashes of PE8
          Derek Sky

Same experience. I've only been using the software for a couple of weeks and had more crashes than I could shake a stick at. There are some very helpful experts on the site who might be able to give you better advice, but for what it's worth this has helped me get the system a bit more stable (still room for improvement): in PE8 under edit/preferences/general, disable GPU and background rendering.

good luck

• 2. Re: Numerous crashes of PE8
            gloftis55 Level 1

Thanks for the input. I think I have turned off the background rendering, but I'll double check that. Not sure about disabling the GPU, or is that all the same thing? Anyway I'll try that this evening. At this point anything is worth a shot. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a glitch in the program itself. I've had every version of Premiere Elements so far, never ran into a problem like this before. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Numerous crashes of PE8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the suggested settings changes, this ARTICLE should give you some tips on setting up your computer for an editing session. Usually, there are many unnecessary programs and Processes that load at bootup. Some are just bloatware, installed by the company that built the computer, while some get added along thew way by other programs, such as iTunes.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Numerous crashes of PE8
                deimosphobos Level 2

What OS are you running. I had originally issues with XP but since I upgraded to Win 7 64 I  have not seen the dissapearing act. I do, however, still have the occational lock-up.

The lockup's usually occur while scrolling in the effects or files box oddly enough.

• 5. Re: Numerous crashes of PE8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For program hangs, freezes and crashes, there is often a breadcrumb trail of error and warning messages in Event Viewer. These should give you some "clues" as to what is happening with your system, when the problem arises. Many of these messages have links, which need to be followed. Sometimes, those links will tell you exactly what is causing the issue, such as a driver. This ARTICLE will give you tips on finding those "clues."

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Numerous crashes of PE8
                    gloftis55 Level 1

I'm running XP Pro

w/ service pack 3. Haven't upgraded to Windows 7 yet. May help the problem. Thanks for the input.

• 7. Re: Numerous crashes of PE8
                      gloftis55 Level 1

I'll give it a shot tonight and see, sounds like a good plan of attack at this point. Thanks

• 8. Re: Numerous crashes of PE8
                        kirbyjb

I turned off rendering and auto analyzer, and it went from crashing every few minutes to every few hours, so this was a big improvement, but not a total fix.