11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 8:29 AM by the_wine_snob

.mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types

CSI_135

Just got a JVC Gy-HM100U SDHC camera.  The two formats that it records in is .mp4 or .mov files.  I can import the .mp4 file into Premiere Elements 7, but after I add it to the timeline, it never plays.  I have enough computer power (in fact I am experminting with only a 10 second video).  It says in the help that .mp4 and .mov are supported video formats  When I try the same video as a .mov, I can't even import it into Elements it says that the codec is missing or unavailable.

So any help would be appreciated.  I'm problably looking at using the .mp4 file format over the .mov but I will take any suggestions on either one if anybody has any.

CSI_135

• 1. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us more about the files from the camera. I do not know that model.

Some MP4 is in AVCHD format, though there are other variations. Your Project Preset should match your source footage (that which you're going to tell us all about) 100%. What is your Project Preset?

Those might yield clues as to why you cannot play back the footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
            CSI_135 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.

This is the first good camera that we have purchased, so I'm a little knew at knowing how to tell what .mp4 format I am trying to record in.  This camera is a high end memory card only, video camera with 3 CCD chips for high def quality.  It will let me record in .mp4 or .mov

It gives me 6 choices for  "System select"   (1080-60/30), (720-60/30), (1080-50/25), (720-50/25), (1080-24), (720-24)

It gives me 2 choices for "Record mode"  (1280/24p HQ), (1280/24p SP)

And what is Project Preset mean?   Like I said I am new but trying to learn.

Like I said before. I can bring in the .mp4 file into Premiere Elements, I can move the file into the timeline, but after that it does not play when I press the play button - nothing happens.

A good description of this camera is at this following web site for Media Solutions:

http://www.media-solutions.us/JVC_ProHD_Camcorder_GY_HM100U_Directors_Kit_p/gyhm100u%20dir ectors%20kit.htm

If that doesn't work just go to the www.media-solutions.us   web site and search for the JVC ProHD Camcorder GY HM100U

Thanks again,

CSI_135

• 3. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
              Derek Sky

I have a Canon that produces only .mov files, and I can see them fine in PE8. However I did

download and install the K-lite codecs (free) before installing PE (I did this to fix the

lack of thumbnail support in Vista for .mov files).

I don't know if that would work for you, but I mention it in case it could be helpful.

• 4. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Many of the ideas at the next link are generic enough they have helped some Non-Premiere users fix problems

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 5. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  And what is Project Preset mean?

When one goes to Project New, they need to set this Project up to match their source footage, and it needs to match 100%, or there will be issues of one sort, or another. In PrE, there are many Presets, and one should choose carefully. If they choose wrong, about the only thing to do is start over again with the correct Project Preset.

If I am shooting the footage, I just look at the settings in my camera, and will match a Preset, in the Project New dialog screen, to that footage. I will find one, that matches every aspect - Video and Audio.

Now, if I have been furnished footage, I run it through a free utility, G-Spot, to determine all of the specs. of that footage. This would work for footage, that I shot too, if I did not remember exactly how I had set my camera. G-Spot will work fine with most AV file types and is invaluable to get the specs. on almost any AV file. I would not be without this little free utility.

Here is a look at some of the Project Preset dialog screens:

Project_Preset_01.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
                    CSI_135 Level 1

Thank you very much, this information was very helpful, I kept trying different presets and It finally took one of the videos.   But can you answer this for me. 

Under the menu option on my camera, it lets me pick under "File Format" (MP4 or MOV).  Under "System Select" (1080-60/30, 720-60/30, 1080-50/25, 720-50/25, 1080-24, and 720-24).   BUT ..... the next menu items is "Record Mode" (1920/60i(HQ),  1440/60i(SP),   and 1920/30p(HQ).

So what is the difference between the System Select choices and the Record Mode Choices?  Which one should I pay attention to when choosing my "custom presets" in Elements?  The video that I got Elements to accept from the camera was set up as:

MP4, 1080-60/30 system select, and 1920/30p(HQ) for recording mode.  

I see in my "Custom Presets" in Pre Elements, my video frame size is at 1980 x 1020, display format is 30fps Drop-Frame timecode. 

So.... Is that the right presets for the video that my camera is set up for, or do you see another solution with these different choices.  I am starting to understand this a little better, but I still need a little help.

Charlie

• 7. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
                      Smact

I am having the same problem sort of, I can load clips into Adobe CS4, work on them and everything is fine until I save and close the project.

When I open it again the program is running very slow, won't allow me to scan the clip, close tabs or anything, almost freezes the PC. I have tried different clips, different project settings, made sure they match the clips settings but nothing works. Anyone have any ideas?

• 8. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

the next menu items is "Record Mode" (1920/60i(HQ),  1440/60i(SP),   and 1920/30p(HQ). So what is the difference between the System Select choices and the Record Mode Choices?

HQ = High Quality and SP (Standard Play). 60i = approximately 60 fps, interlaced, while 30p = approximately 30 fps, progressive. Now, different camera mfgrs. will label things slightly differently, and some will implement things slightly differently. You will need to read the details in the manual, to find out exactly how Canon implements these. The 60i and 30p can be quite different, camera mfgr. to mfgr.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, you have posted to the PrElements forum, and not the PrPro forum. Maybe our trusted MOD, Steve, will move this for you.

In the meantime, this ARTICLE gives tips on setting up a computer for an editing session, and is not particular to PrE. Actually, it really started back when I was on an AVID system.

Next, and the ARTICLE linked is written particularly for PrPro, though most works well in PrE too. It is a good starting point.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
                            nealeh Level 5

CSI_135 wrote:

Thank you very much, this information was very helpful, I kept trying different presets and It finally took one of the videos.   But can you answer this for me. 

Under the menu option on my camera, it lets me pick under "File Format" (MP4 or MOV).  Under "System Select" (1080-60/30, 720-60/30, 1080-50/25, 720-50/25, 1080-24, and 720-24).

1080 is the norm for use in HD TV's, 720 is the 'original' TV specs.

60/30 is for NTSC (mostly the Americas, 25 is for PAL (mostly Europe). 24 I've not seen before.

CSI_135 wrote:

BUT ..... the next menu items is "Record Mode" (1920/60i(HQ),  1440/60i(SP),   and 1920/30p(HQ).

1920 is the usual maximum resolution for most modern computer displays. You would only use this for a project intended for use on a computer rather than a TV.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: .mp4 and/or .mov files  -  I can't play these file types
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              24 I've not seen before.

Neale,

This is usually seen as 24p, and can give a more "filmic" look. However, different camera mfgrs. implement 24p in different ways. Some edit fine, while some can cause problems. With the better color/gamma gamut of PAL, I would guess that it's not seen in PAL-land that often. When done right, and used in a proper Project Preset, it does get more of the look of film. However, there are so any other aspects, and so many implementations, that many just do not bother.

I went looking for a multi-part discussion by Jim Simon, a contributor to the PrPro forum, but it seems that all parts of his excellent thread are now on expired servers. If I can find it elsewhere, maybe the Creative Cow, I'll post a link, so you can read over the high-points and low-points of 24p, often called "Cine Mode."

Hope you're not snowed in.

Hunt