14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 10:20 PM by budge_frownie

global security

budge_frownie

Hi I realise there are multiple threads on this issue already but i'm a little confused about this. I have created an swf that manages to get all urls assigned to the buttons. When I publish the file I set the global security to allow that file to work and all links work. My question is when I transferred the html and swf to a new pc none of the buttons worked I was not even given an option to update global security settings by adding a new location

If I was to load this swf to an ftp media server is that the location I need to allow and can I only do this from the original PC where the file was created as transferring it seemed to make the buttons not do anything

Thanks

• 1. Re: global security
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

it's not clear what you're talking about but if you're having trouble with getURL() or navigateToURL(), those issues only exist when opening the swf from your local file system and trying to access internet urls.   you can use the flash security settings to allow this sandbox crossing.

if the swf is in the internet sandbox (ie, uploaded to an internet based server), there are no sandbox issues with getURL() or navigateToURL().

• 2. Re: global security
            budge_frownie Level 1

Sorry I'll try to clarify this a little more

I created a flash menu on my mac. the items in the menu are buttons that link to different sites. As an swf file this gets the urls fine and when published I had to allow access through the global settings but it still worked after access was confirmed

I then took the published html and swf file and transferred them to another PC. The problem here was that none of the buttons then linked to the pages on the PC nor did it give any dialogue box to allow access.

I need to get this file uploaded to an ftp for work but now I'm not sure why this is working on my mac and not the PC

thanks!

• 3. Re: global security

again, if you're having trouble with getURL() or navigateToURL(), those issues only exist when opening the swf from your local file system and trying to access internet urls.   you can use the flash security settings to allow this sandbox crossing:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.htm l

if the swf is in the internet sandbox (ie, uploaded to an internet based server), there are no sandbox issues with getURL() or navigateToURL().

• 4. Re: global security
                budge_frownie Level 1

ah ok so would this mean I have to first upload my swf file to an internet server and then add that location in the sandbox area to allow the getURL() function to work from any location?

• 5. Re: global security

no.

case 1.   you're opening your swf that's on that other computer:

if you're having trouble with getURL() or navigateToURL(), those issues only exist when opening the swf from your local file system and trying to access internet urls.   you can use the flash security settings to allow this sandbox crossing:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_man ager04.html

/////////////////////////////////////////

////////////////////////////////////////

case 2.  you open your swf that is in the internet sandbox (ie, uploaded to an internet based server), there are no sandbox issues with getURL() or navigateToURL().

• 6. Re: global security
                    budge_frownie Level 1

in that case because I wish to hand out this menu to multiple people (uploading to server) the sandbox only applies to testing it locally on each computer and specifying a path only works for that location.

In order to distribute it I just need to upload the swf file to a server and it will function just like the preview mode of the swf?

Currently my plan is to take the working swf off of my mac and place it into an html page and load this html page onto a usb stick so clients can run the swf file. the location of the swf file will be the internet server link for everyone to view. Is there anything else I should be aware of in order to confirm this works for them?

thanks again for your input!

• 7. Re: global security

why is the html page on a usb stick and the swf on the internet?  you should put both on the internet or both on the usb stick.

• 8. Re: global security
                        budge_frownie Level 1

ah the idea is is to have a usb stick for each client so when they plug it in that html page opens containing the menu. If the swf file is on the usb as well would I have to do the whole sandbox thing for each usb stick to make the getURL () function to work? I just thought it would be easier to have one location for the menu and have one html that was linking to that location.

transferring the swf and inserting it into dreamweaver caused the buttons to not function, which led to my original concern of why the buttons worked on the place of creation but did absolutely nothing (not even ask if I would allow access from the current location) when moved to the new computer.

• 9. Re: global security

i don't know how that would work using a local html file to embed a swf on the internet.  have you done that before?  can you do it?

you could put both html and swf on the internet and put an html file (that contains a link to your internet html) on your usb stick.

• 10. Re: global security
                            budge_frownie Level 1

I would imagine it should work because the file when opened will just try to open the embedded swf file and the source of that is the media server.

• 11. Re: global security

try it and let me know if you can do it.

• 12. Re: global security
                                budge_frownie Level 1

Hey thanks for the help it worked out. I uploaded the swf to an internet server and the getURL functions worked. I then opened dreamweaver inserted the flash object and changed the source address to that of the internet server where the swf was located.

Now when the html file is opened it located the source file and displays it in the browser =)

• 13. Re: global security

paste your html file code here.

• 14. Re: global security
                                    budge_frownie Level 1

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />

<title>Untitled Document</title>

</head>

<body>

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553340000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0" width="1280" height="800" title="mm">

<param name="movie" value="filesource" />

<param name="quality" value="high" />

<embed src="filesource" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="800"></embed>

</object>

</body>

</html>

the file source is the link of the swf uploaded on the media server. The page was then saved as an htm file through dreamweaver
                                    I hope I haven't done a monumental mess up of some sort since I tried it on multiple PC's and it seemed to work on each one through the USB stick