2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 1:24 PM by HarryPutnam

Touch up post rotoscope

HarryPutnam Level 1

I'm wondering if there is some way to further touch up something that has been rotoscoped out of footage.

I mean the subject of rotoscope (the inside of the mask) is what is beingsaved for futher usage. (not to be used on the masked off footage.)

It's the body of a baby doing his first zombie walk.  I have several masks in play but I've been rotoscoping the arms without trying to differentiate the fingers.  (as in the attached image)  In 90 % of the footage just masking off a sort of club like that is going to be fine but in a very few frames. at the end the fingers come into focus so as you can see in the image there will be undesireable stuff captured.

At first I thought just to add more keyframes when that section starts but I see those keyframes will then be in all frames where this mask is in use.

Seem like more trouble than its worth so I wondered if once I've captured the body if I can then touch up those few frames some how.  Like with an eraser or something (ala photoshop?.

Or would I have to render the footage with the background gone and then roto the fingers?

hand.png

• 1. Re: Touch up post rotoscope
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

There could be dozens of approaches. But one thing you can do is create 2 or 3 small masks, set to the "subtract" mode, to erase the holes between the fingers (which is what I understand you want, right?) SInce these masks are needed for a brief time, you could animate the opacity property for these masks (not the layer's) to make them work when you want them and then disappear.

In more general terms, it depends on what's the purpose of the roto job. If it's about replacing the background, yes, you need to deal with all the details. If it's, for example, to do selective color correction (say, making the person black and white) you can do with a more loose approah and use feather.

• 2. Re: Touch up post rotoscope
            HarryPutnam Level 1

Adolfo Rozenfeld wrote:

There could be dozens of approaches. But one thing you can do is create 2 or 3 small masks, set to the "subtract" mode, to erase the holes between the fingers (which is what I understand you want, right?) SInce these masks are needed for a brief time, you could animate the opacity property for these masks (not the layer's) to make them work when you want them and then disappear.

In more general terms, it depends on what's the purpose of the roto job. If it's about replacing the background, yes, you need to deal with all the details. If it's, for example, to do selective color correction (say, making the person black and white) you can do with a more loose approah and use feather.

What  a great idea, thanks.

Thats going to help a lot because I've also noticed a few places where limbs and torso create a captured bit of background like an island.   So those extra animated masks will fix that too.  Very helpful ....thanks again