11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 9:31 PM by needles27

Premiere Pro corrupted project

hmcindie Level 1

Well this is just great. My project will not open anymore. All my auto-saves are from the same day so none of them will open anymore. I have absolutely no idea why not. It won't open even if I move all my media files elsewhere (not even offline helps).

Anyone else experienced something like this? This is pretty bad. If it helps I've uploaded the project file here:

http://hmcindie.pp.fi/vesa/

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Happened to me once.  Never found a way to fix it.  Fortunately it was a project already delivered.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Create a new project and try importing the corrupted one into the new project.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
              hmcindie Level 1

Harm: Doesn't work.

There was no error, it just suddenly stopped opening. Editing on the previous day had gone well. Won't import into AE either.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's the PrPro-Wiki entry on Corrupt Projects. You should find some useful tips there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
                  jportx

i'm also having the same problem. i've tried the file transfers and remame and auto-save files. i've tried wrench and it said "Ok. File is well formed". it didn't identify any errors in the .prproj. what else can i do. this was a 20min program that i do not want to start from scratch.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
                    Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

We learned this lesson the hard way. We now set Auto-Save to every 8 minutes and I set the number of Auto-Saves to 500.

One possibility. We have had great success with a program called Getdataback:

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Let it scan your hard drive that had your prproj's. Just maybe it will be able to restore an earlier version of your project file. It's worth a try. The scan is free.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
                      jportx Level 1

thanks chuck,

i tried the demo still no joy. recovering the project seems like more work than it's worth. fortunately i had a draft copy on dvd. i'm going to just have to bite the bullet and use the draft as a guid to drop in my clips/composites. i'm going to have to rebuild this timeline.

my settings were auto-save every 5 min and a 100 saves. My question is how does this "bug" affect all 100 auto-saves and the original. who can i send this .prproj to so they can tell me where i screwed up or what combination of editing caused the corruption.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
                        Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

jportx:

What version of Premiere are you running? I tried to open your project with Premiere CS3 at home without success.

A few years back when we used the Matrox RT.X100, Premiere project file corruption happened occasionally. Since we ditched the Matrox, we have never had a situation where a Premiere project became corrupt and refused to open. We are now using CS4 at work and have had an After Effects dynamic link issue cause a *.prproj opening process go into an endless loop. We were able to find a work-around for that.

I was able to open your project in Notepad. The Prproj's are XML files with a *prproj extension. If you change the extension to *.xml, you can open them in Dreamweaver. The problem is, these documents contain so much information, I'm not sure if even the engineers who invented the format could spot an error within a reasonable time frame. A software *.prproj repair utility would be a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, I don't think there is one.

You said the auto-saves appear to be corrupt going back a ways. Can you remember if you closed and re-opened the main project within the time frame when those auto-saves were created.

System Mechanic has some great tools for finding and repairing hard drive errors. The fully functional program is available to use as a 30 day trial at iolo.com.

I'm not really sure if an MFT hard drive error could cause Auto Save files to become corrupt. I mentioned in a previous thread that when we used the Matrox card, I did an experiment and changed just one character (manually with Notepad) within a *prproj. The project file would not open and the dialog said the project was corrupt. So I can tell you that *.prproj's will not tolerate even the slightest error. I would let a complete System Mechanic hard drive diagnostic run all night.

Could you post your system specs?

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
                          Level 1

I put your xml code through an online code validater and it didnt find any syntax errors.

But that just means that the open and close brackets or good, the variables are where they belong (more or less) and so on.

No real help.

Rod

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
                            jportx Level 1

thanks chuck & robodog1 for your help.

sorry for the late response, rebuilding this timeline was just a pain in the tukass.

my system specs are:

-winXP w/ sp3

-intel core2 quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz

-3Gig Ram

-premiere CS4 v4.2 [using adobe CS4 package]

You said the auto-saves appear to be corrupt going back a ways. Can you remember if you closed and re-opened the main project within the time frame when those auto-saves were created.

no, i didn't close project when the auto-saves were generated. for that day i was editing for about 12 hrs so any of the auto-save from the previous session were written over, since my saves are every 5min. [i've since made it a policy to back-up the auto-saves from the previous day edits before continuing with the next day edit]

We are now using CS4 at work and have had an After Effects dynamic link issue cause a *.prproj opening process go into an endless loop. We were able to find a work-around for that.

i've run into this problem too. i've stopped using the dynamic link and just imported premeire sequecence files into AE and rendered a flat .avi file that i import into premiere and lay on top of the original sequence. i let the auto update take care of any changes i make when i revise & rerender those particular nested files.

System Mechanic has some great tools for finding and repairing hard drive errors. The fully functional program is available to use as a 30 day trial at iolo.com

i have a program called "fix-it" from VCom which i ran and it told me that i had no drive errors and everything was "healthy". i've also run the drive tools that come with windows and they didn't find any errors.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro corrupted project
                              needles27 Level 3

13503124 wrote:

Try to reinstall your adobe software

Looks like that was 3 years ago.  If he is still working on this one, I would tell him to move on...