9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 2:38 PM by Jacob Bugge

Illustrator Keyboard Shortcuts

burzhwaze

Sorry, searched here and google and did not find but I am sure this has been covered...

How do I move my current Illustrator keyboard shortcuts to my new computer? I see I can save as text file but I do not think I can import that.

I would also like to export workspaces too, is that possible?

Old versions of Dreamweaver, Fireworks had an extension that you could run and it would export and import shortcuts. Maybe there is something for Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign???

Also need to export Photoshops keyboard shortcuts, workspace layout too (I know wrong forum) but if it helps to have one less post there...

Thanks for any help!

Ned

• 1. Re: Illustrator Keyboard Shortcuts
          Harron K. Appleman Level 4

It would sure help to know which version of Illustrator and what operating system you're using.

• 2. Re: Illustrator Keyboard Shortcuts
            burzhwaze Level 1

Your right. I am using CS3 and windows vista OS.

Ned

• 3. Re: Illustrator Keyboard Shortcuts
              Harron K. Appleman Level 4

OK. Someone with AI 13 and Vista is going to have to jump in here, but perhaps I can get you started.

In AI 12 (CS2) and XP, the location of customized keyboard shortcut sets is C:\Documents and Settings\{your login name}\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS2 Settings. Files representing the customized sets will have the .kys extension. This assumes, of course, that C: is your bootup drive.

The same folder contains a 'Workspaces' subfolder, which contains... you guessed it... customized workspaces.

I know things are somewhat different in Vista (and, I suspect, AI 13), but you might find the necessary files by a doing a search. Remember to allow search to report hidden/system folders and files.

If you find the file(s), it should be a simple matter of copying them to the same location on another machine with AI 13 installed.

• 4. Re: Illustrator Keyboard Shortcuts
                burzhwaze Level 1

Thanks Harron! I think it is a little different in Vista and using AI13.

Here is the path to the default shortcuts file: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3\Presets\Keyboard Shortcuts\theDefaults.kys

I tried different things like copying the old default (leaving the name the same and copying it in with different names) but no luck. I guess I can always set each one again as I use tthe shortcuts but that will take some time.

Ned

• 5. Re: Illustrator Keyboard Shortcuts
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The problem is, that AI is not aware of you modified keys. When you define your own keys, the newly created key file is referenced in the prefs. So essentially you would have to copy all prefs, not just the keys. Workspaces should always work, though.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Illustrator Keyboard Shortcuts
                    JETalmage Level 6

In Vista, your user-defined prefs may exist in the Users directory, not the Program Files directory. For example mine is located here:

C:\Users\JET\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings/JET_KeyShortcuts.kys

JET

• 7. Re: Illustrator Keyboard Shortcuts
                      Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

burzhwaze,

If you copy the whole Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings folder with all files/subfolders and place it on your new Desktop, you may restore all those preferences as soon as you have installed Illy by copying into the right enclosing folder again with Illy closed.

To find the enclosing folder you may perform a search for Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings including hidden files and folders and go one level Up.

You should be able do the same with other preferences, such as the Workspaces.

• 8. Re: Illustrator Keyboard Shortcuts
                        burzhwaze Level 1

Great, thanks everyone for your help.

Going into the USERS folders instead of PROGRAMS folders makes sense and I will try copying the entire "Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings" over to the new computer and see how it works.

Cheer and Thanks again for the help.

Ned

• 9. Re: Illustrator Keyboard Shortcuts
                          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For my part you are welcome, Ned.